Goodmans Maxim

Hi everyone. I was fortunate enough to acquire a pair of Goodmans Maxim tiny bookshelfs(circa 1965). I drove test them with my Pioneer SX-850 and was pleasantly surprised with the sound coming out from this tiny boxes. I've replaced caps on my dynaco a25's, klh 17s and klh 24's for the past couple of years and was wondering if I could do upgrades on this too. Any inputs, suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. All the best.

Apparently great mini monitors, but not from New England--they're from OLD England ;) so a bit beyond the scope of this forum. Have you done a google search? The first article I found:

http://www.eastmarinedrive.com/audio/2003/maxim.html

the author opened his up, apparently replaced woofer surrounds unnecessarily. There is a link to his email address and he invites other Maxim owners to contact him. May be your best bet. The photo of the inside of the box shows 2 inductors and 2 caps but does not mention values. The box is apparently difficult to open and there's no space behind the woofer.

They look like VERY nice speakers. Hope you keep us posted.

Kent

Thanks for the quick reply Kent. I probably missed his email address. The front of the baffle is actually a steel plate with the driver and tweeter screwed to it. I already tried taking the whole plate out by taking a couple of screws off. Once open, there is easy access to the caps. I'll try to email him and ask if it's necessary to replace caps as they sound good as they are now and caps values if any. Will keep you posted. Cheers.

Arthur

scroll down the page about half way. It says "contact me"--that's the link to his email address. If you have trouble finding it send me a PM.

If you have the ones with the steel baffle, they're early ones. Congratulations on a great find! They've been compared to the LS 3/5A. Nice company to be in!

Do your research before making any changes. The poor guy who authored that web page refoamed the woofers. That's like replacing the cloth surrounds on AR3a's with foam. A definite no-no!

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

I did contact him and he said just leave them alone as they sound good already. I am so happy and ecstatic to have this pair. Looks like they haven't been used for a while as when I first hooked them up I heard some kind of voice coil rub on one speaker but after a couple of minutes, they were gone.

I've been listening to them everyday (it's like a mid-day ritual to me) with jazz, rock and pop music and they really are amazing for their size. Sound stage is much better than my Celestion Ditton 250's, and these are 4x the size of the Maxims. I have been emailing UK sellers of vintage Goodmans but haven't found one yet willing to sell just the speaker grill badges. I hope I get one in the near future. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news.... I am bidding and hopefully will win a single badge of the same period exactly the same as the one I have. I can't wait to see both of them with original badges. The seller was kind enough to dig into his old pile of badges and found this one. Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone. Sorry for the late post. I have finally installed the badges on my Goodmans Maxims and upgraded the binding posts as well. Here as some pics. Sorry for the poor image quality (guess I'm not a natural photographer). Thanks and all the best. Arthurpost-108247-0-32052800-1320804926_thumb.post-108247-0-56292100-1320805013_thumb.

post-108247-0-51027400-1320804940_thumb.

post-108247-0-62609600-1320804950_thumb.

post-108247-0-83871300-1320804966_thumb.

post-108247-0-55481500-1320804977_thumb.

post-108247-0-30194000-1320804988_thumb.

post-108247-0-36170300-1320805000_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Archived