AR speaker hybrids

Several months ago I posted a link to an Asian website that had tons of images of AR speakers, and it seems I have stumbled upon another very similar site. I have not attempted any language translation, so again, it's too bad that most of the text is unreadable. For information only, here are a few reference links which relate to the attached images.

Am just sharing two projects here which caught my eye. The first project appears to be a relatively simple all-new cabinet construction for a pair of 4x speakers, where the drivers and internals from a pair of aged speakers have been removed and dropped into the new cabinets. No idea if the problematic pots were addressed, and it does appear that the original capacitors were re-used, but in my opinion, a beautiful result nonetheless. The workmanship on these cabinets is excellent, and I happen to really like the blonde veneer and the expressed plies that come with high quality Baltic birch plywood.

post-112624-0-33549500-1388773025_thumb. post-112624-0-34908000-1388773045_thumb.

The second project is also very interesting, but is not so straightforward. Using all original AR drivers - - - AR-4x woof and tweet; and the AR-2ax mid (or AR-4 tweet) - - - the objective appears to be to construct a smaller "AR" three-way speaker. To my eye, the cabinet appears to be a bit too long with respect to the width, but interestingly re-creates the wider edge frame similar to the AR-3 and 3a. I have no idea how the crossover was designed and constructed, but it appears that it may have been cobbled together from later AR-38 and/or AR-48 models.
post-112624-0-25850100-1388773703_thumb. post-112624-0-36466200-1388773723_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived