Need to clean the basement. Some speakers must go. Beverly MA

JES

Hi All,

I have some speakers in need of a good home. Buyers/adopters must pick up, Beverly MA.

Everything in pairs.

1) AR2-ax Good working order without any grilles. Utility plywood cabinets with stain & Poly finish. Not the best lookers but they're FREE.

2) AR 4's... These have been through rehab. Allison (Or RDL) woofers, Cambridge SoundWorks tweeters. Nice Walnut Cabinets. FREE.

3) Magnepan SMGa's. I've had these since new in 1988/89. Don't have the room for them. Grilles are a little dingy but they work fine. Need a good home. I'd like some Cash for these. Offers accepted.

4) Direct Acoustics "Silent Speaker". From Winslow himself. Just need a good home. FREE.

5) EMI DLS529. These are in pretty good shape for a roadside find. FREE.

If interested, Contact Jarl @ salmelaj@aol.com

• 6 months later...

Hey stupidhead:

1. First, protocol beckons, and I must sincerely welcome you to this forum for your interest and inquiry.

2. Second, I just have to report that your online moniker pleased me to no end - - - sometimes these forums become just a tad too serious - - - and your post just happened to tickle my high frequency funnybone.

3. Third, it pains and pleasures me to report that Jarl's AR-4's are indeed still available, but only for listening sessions in my living room. Whenever the combination of "Acoustic Research" and "free" appear simultaneously, the window of opportunity is often very small. My meeting and exchange with him was most memorable, a gorgeous summer Sunday New England morning, and the 2ax's had already been spoken for. The seller (or donor, as it were), was a fascinating guy who had spent most of his career in the industry of audio reproduction (many years at a/d/s, a terrific company), and he knew the AR history as well as anyone I had ever spoken with in person. The pair of speakers I received (for free, yes, free) were not really AR's anymore, but I have not touched his modifications and am still evaluating the results of his efforts against other AR speakers. He also gave me most of the original drivers (3 of 4), so with not that much extra effort, I could possible re-re-create original AR's, I guess, if I ever decide to do so. See pic attached - top speaker is the "freebie"; next is my first AR speaker, AR-4x, purchased 40+ years ago and now modified to become a hybrid 4xa; and below, a restored AR-6.

4. Lastly, another chuckle. Although I do not know your wife, your other "interests" do overlap with some of my own.

post-112624-0-17900500-1390106828_thumb.

Hi ra.ra

Sure, I had a feeling, but the only stupid question is one that doesn't get asked! Thanx for the welcome, and my quest and thirst for info in this topic sometimes reveals my ignorance and naivety.

I have joined this forum, and AK to immerse myself in experience and knowledge filled waters. If you are interested in my back story (pretty common place actually) please check my profile on AK. So am I missing something here on CSP, seems to be a great concept, but lightly used forum. By chance do you have pieces/parts for AR speakers, or do you just own and not dabble into the insides of these things. I have started a post http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=568900%C2'>

So far my quest has been a very enjoyable one, and I am interested in finding more speakers to rehab.

Hello, Mr. Head,

Despite the fact that I scored (or, as they say on AK, "scroed") the (formerly) series 4 speakers from this generous man in Beverly, I would urge you to contact him directly via the email address he provided if you have further questions - - - he was a very good communicator via email, and he just may still have spare parts to dole out.

From my perspective, I have found both CSP and AK to be invaluable resources, but in terms of my own posts, the ratio of my involvement with CSP to AK is probably 30 or 50 to 1. Mostly, this is due to the fact that my primary interest is Acoustic Research products (but also some other NE companies: H.H. Scott, a/d/s, KLH, Advent, EPI, etc.), but further, I generally appreciate the tenor and tone of communication on this forum. Nearly everyone is polite and respectful, and very many members are extremely gracious and helpful with their knowledge and resources. CSP is very different from AK, but each is very good once you specify your interest and determine your audience. My advice: think it out, do some research, become informed, throw it out there, get involved. Hopefully, the web responds.

My own thing: I have a very nice yet modest collection of smaller AR speakers, but I am not yet a member of the big boy club (LST's, 9's, 90's, etc.), nor do I have any sort of background or expertise in audio engineering. Many people on this forum are extremely savvy with lab testing equipment, charted curves, spec numbers and audio speak, and when reading this dialog, once my eyeballs begin to glaze over, I have already gone beyond my pay grade.

To your final question, yes, I do have some spare parts and I do tinker with the internal surgery, and occasionally my mix-n-mash amalgamations venture into the twilight zone, but I do try to learn from the many more knowledgeable voices on this forum before I attempt to create my own Frankenspeaker. Get involved, listen and learn, try your own ideas, have some fun.

• 10 months later...

I am having fun. Your comments on CSP vs. AK are spot on, and while each has it's place, I guess I find the CSP group to be less likely to have a flame war.

Oh yeah, taking my time as well. Currently investigating options for finishing a set of unfinished pine 4x. I am in no hurry.

Archived