Advent BSC switch?

kehern15

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are 5 choices of On/On switches http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Toggle-Switches/_/N-5g2jZscv7?P=1yztubyZ1z0z2xkZ1z0z2uvZ1yxszwuZ1z0z80lZ1z0z357Z1z0z48oZ1z0z812Z1z0x4hu&Ns=Pricing|0

The one you picked is On/None/On which should also work AFAIK but I think On/On (2 position) is more suitable. That 1st one I suggested was On/None/On but just On/On is all you need.

Those spade-to-banana adaptors look nice. They don't say what size the spade is but I see similar ones on ebay (assume they are the same). I get dizzy making the conversion from metric to inch but the studs on your Advents are #8 machine screws.

Kent

Pete, I messed with the jumpers a bit tonight, and honestly couldn't hear much, if any difference. I listened to pieces with high violin parts (Kishi Bashi and Paganini's Caprices). Those pieces have the highest, and possibly most piercing treble in my music library, and they sounded similar to me (I removed a jumper from one channel only, and listening, then switched the channels, listened, etc)

I looked into the frequency range of most natural instruments, it seems like very few go past 10-11k, so I wonder how much the high frequency boost "practically" effects sound, especially in the types of music I listen to. When I build my BSC, I will be including the HF boost, because I can always help tame it with the switch on the Advents.

In terms of comparing the Advents to the OS's, I will be doing that after I build my own BSC with a 4dB boost, as it's time consuming and tedious to switch out the BSC right now, and because I still feel that a 6dB boost has too much bass. I'll update once I build the BSC.

Alright guys, everything arrived today! I have two very amateur questions though, regarding how to mount/assemble the phono jacks and the switch. The phono jacks some with two plastic sheaths, a solder tab, and two nuts. The switch with two nuts, one washer with a small tab on it, and another washer with "teeth". So how do I mount these to the plastic project box? As in, what's the order of all the parts? (nut, washer, box, washer, nut? etc)

Attached are pictures, if that helps.

post-174223-0-39602300-1427929621_thumb.

post-174223-0-78548000-1427929626_thumb.

Alright guys, I figured out how to mount everything and soldered it up! Attached are pictures, I'm not the best at soldering, having only built the crossovers for my overnight sensations before. Everything seems to work fine, as far as I can tell. I briefly tested it (it is midnight here, so I couldn't give it a proper listen, my impressions will follow in a few days)

I am a bit confused as to when the circuit is engaged, and when it's off. I believe that I understand it, but I would just like some help clarifying. When the toggle is in a direction, the opposite circuit is engaged, correct? Meaning, and I built this exactly as the image Pete posted, when the toggle is pointed towards the input direction, the BSC circuit is on? The highs should be subdued when the circuit is on, if I have understood Pete's description of the BSC (it actually reduces the highs/mids, to allow the bass to be more present) I have attached a crude drawing, hopefully my question makes sense. Also attached is the spec sheet for this switch.

So everyone, how did I do? I will also post in the Audiokarma forum, if everything checks out!

post-174223-0-37371400-1428123245_thumb.

post-174223-0-45179400-1428123255_thumb.

post-174223-0-26805800-1428123260_thumb.

MS-100737-199823.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

That looks correct, and just to note the right side is the output.

If that switch works like most then when you flip it to the input side of the box BSC

should be on.

And yes, the highs should become lower when BSC is on.

If you have a meter you can also test the switch on the ohms scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have email or telephone contact info for Keher Neote the OP in this thread, he's not

responding to PMs.

• 1 month later...

I heard back from Keher several weeks ago, finally, said he would return or pass on the BSC loaner but it still has not shown up and he is not responding to PMs. I really don't have the time to build another one. I hope that he is okay and if he is too busy life eases up for him soon.

Archived