A-50 enclosure dimensions and XO schematic - newbie to classicspeakerpages

Guest ozziozzi

Guest monkamonk2001
I recently acquired the four woofers and two tweeters as used in the A-50 in two "really" home-made sealed boxes of about 40 litres (1.4 cuft) for A$10 /pr at my local salvo store.

Their XO was a first-order on the tweeter with series C and series/parallel Rs actually labelled "SEAS". The arrangement sounded OK, but I suspect the original design of the A-50 might be better. The pair of boxes lacked the "punch" that some people have used to describe the bass and low mids of the original A-50.

I have found the **outside** dimensions of the original boxes (28"x21.5"x10"). Three things I can't seem to find exactly are the dimensions/design of front baffle layout, the internal aperiodic vent or a XO schematic. I did find the A-50 XO on Planet 10 site, but also found a reference elsewhere that this could be slightly wrong. Someone suggested that 10R resistor should be in parallel with tweeter to form an Lpad. see attached .gif (Thanks to Dave Dlugos of Planet 10-hope it's alright to post this pic)

I also need to know thickness of original cabinets (3/4 chipboard??) or enclosure volume as i plan to make thicker walls and perhaps some bracing front-to-rear and side-to-side.

Also thought of making them as towers to avoid separate stands. Can anyone supply box plans and definitive XO schematic? Is there any advantage to making boxes bigger than original design? Or has anyone used these SEAS drivers in any other configuration eg d'appolito with tweeter between two mid-basses? Any suggestions for improvements on the original design would be appreciated. Please don't shoot me for posting such heresies in the Classic Dyanaco forum ;-)

regards

Ozziozzi;)

I don't suppose it has occurred to any owner of the A50 to just pull a woofer and measure the aperiodic vent between the two chambers? There are quite a few people that would be interested and very appreciative to know what those dimensions are. Thanx.....

• 2 years later...

Hi there

I took both of my rescued A-50's outside to clean up last week.

I took some photos and will post them and complete my write-up soon.

1. removed 99% of the black paint from the side panels.

2. I measured drivers, front and other outside measurements.

3. I took photos of before and after.

4. first cabinet has 99% mint walnut veneer.

5. second cabinet is like from another planet, terrible shape, paint hides lots of sins.

6. about one hour each so far.

20120410 added

Funny thing is that after all I've read about the A-50's being floorstanding speakers because of their size and weight, my cabinets have the recesses and wall mounting brackets attached.

I tried to post a few photos and was unsuccessful.

• 4 years later...

Archived