Introduction dates of AR10 and 11

jmsent

The AR-10Pi, AR-11 and AR-MST/1 were the first models in the new Advanced Development Division, which overlapped for a short time with the last few months of the Classic Series.

Those first ADDs were introduced in March of 1975. I remember writing to AR in August of 1975 and asking why the AR-3a and AR-11 were both $295, since it seemed strange to price them the same. As was always the case with AR's very convoluted marketing, they gave me some nonsensical answer. AR tried to clean up their distribution policies with the ADDs and they were supposed to sell at retail for "list," while the Classics were subject to any discounting the seller wanted to take. So in reality, the 11 sold in the marketplace for at or close to $295, while the 3a was readily available for under $230.

But the short answer to your question is March 1975. Additional ADDs followed in 1976--the 12, 14 and 16 were next.

Steve F.

Thanks Steve. That was my recollection as well. But I was in a discussion over on Facebook, with a member claiming that the 10pi didn't release until 1978. That seems way off, as I was working at Audio Consultants in Evanston Il until late 76 and distinctly remember them being on display at the time.

Archived