AR speaker mounting sealer-- speaker to cabinet putty

day67

Is there a certain type/composition/brand of putty tape that can be bought at a local store - Home Depot, Lowes - that is a good replacement for the original putty/sealer used on AR's and the old KLH's ? I dont want to go ahead and use the wrong stuff. I know that some of the putty out there after a while leaches/bleeds out and stains the surface it's used on, thanks!

> Is there a certain type/composition/brand of putty tape

>that can be bought at a local store - Home Depot, Lowes - that

>is a good replacement for the original putty/sealer used on

>AR's and the old KLH's ? I dont want to go ahead and use the

>wrong stuff. I know that some of the putty out there after a

>while leaches/bleeds out and stains the surface it's used on,

>thanks!

Hi Dan;

Much has been written in the AR forum regarding, Dum-Dum, Mortite, 3-M car body putty and other available putties.

I did a search locally and bought two equivalent products from auto supply stores.

Both had enough to do about 100 speaker systems. lol

I do not mean a silicone sealer but a non-hardening putty, and not the plumbing putty.

What you do NOT want is something that will seal correctly and never release the drivers again if need be.

In the electrical departments of most all stores, for a few dollars, they have a dark electrical putty for sealing holes.

Take a gob of it and roll it in your hand to make a spaghetti string that you lay in the flat of the recess for the drivers.

Too much and it will only ooze out slightly, not a problem.

You should be careful that a great gob of it does not ooze into the woofer section, as it will find it's way into the rear of the basket and buzz.

Definitely well worth the time and effort to do this properly.

or, if you're not averse to ordering stuff over the internet, you can order either black sealing caulk or foam backed tape designed specificlly for speaker sealing. You can also order by phone.

Check out www.partsexpress.com

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

The Parts Express black sealant (#269-300) mentioned by Carl works very well.

A Home Depot choice would be gray electrical putty (see attached). It is relatively inexpensive and goes a long way. You will sometimes see this stuff sold on Ebay as "AR sealant" for much more money.

Roy

post-101150-1170120792.jpg

Hey, thanks for the info! It's always nice to have options. I'm probably better off with the electrical putty as the mid range speaker wires come thru an enclosure that has some old putty -- hard as a rock -- and I'l have to close the holes. Thanks again.

Archived