KEF CADENZA

Hi, I have been lucky enough to purchase a pair of 70's KEF Cadenza speakers. The sound reproduction is one of the best I have ever heard, the bass is awesome, the preformace is just soo rich and well balanced. I am overjoyed with my purchase! I would love to know what others think of these speakers? I can find no material on these babies, which must mean they are pretty rare. I find it amazing that such a good sound has not got some sort of fan base. Is there even a market for them?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I have a pair of kef cadenza, but I have a problem with the foam on the bass radiator. It seems that it is a common problem with these, the material used falls in dust after some years. I think you are lucky if teh problem did not occur with your cadenza, but maybe they have been repaired some time ago. Have you any information about this, because I'm trying to get mine repaired ? It's quite old and it's impossible to find the original bass radiator now.

Thanks

phil

• 3 weeks later...

Phil: the rotted drivers can easily be repaired by any competent speaker repair facility. If you can't find one locally, you can always contact someone at Millersound or Chicago Speakerworks via a search on the net. Sean

>

• 11 years later...

I know this is an old thread and don't expect a response but just had to give it a go.

A few months ago, I listened to a pair.

Cabinets looked decent and the drivers seemed to be in excellent shape.

I wasn't in the market for another pair of speakers, but they were there and I listened a bit.

Maybe the the integrated amp or crossover caps needed some warming up because

the longer I listened, the better they sounded.

I'm guessing they were not big sellers since I don't see many on ebay, craigslist or audiogon.

Most of my listening is orchestral music.

Anyone still using them?

If so, can you offer your listening impressions?

• 8 months later...

Hi stan,

I also bought a pair recently for 12.5 euro which translates to about 15 dollars? I m very lucky as every speaker works. I very happy with the sound but somehow it take getting used to. The seem to be better at reproducing classical music, orchestral piano and so on. Also you need a powerful amp to drive them. Compared to my infinity speakers i have to set the volume twice as high to get same outout level. I m used to speakers and headphones that pump out a lot bass and highs. Thats not where these speakers shine they have a very clear and detailed midrange. I m still puzzled at what speaker really is, it looks likeca cadenze three way system but doesnot have an oval bass speaker , mine is round.. So m guess i have special preproduction model.

gert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

That's not a Cadenza. I'm suprised there isn't a label on the back with the exact model number.

Anyway, every KEF speaker I've ever heard seems to be made for classical music.

The Cadenza pair I was interested in has been sold. But the seller has a KEF 104\2 which sounds much better than the Cadenzas. The Cadenza was less than half the price of the 104\2's. The KEF 104\2 is a complex and odd design. The original tweeter is almost impossible to find. I'm not sure I want to go down that road again. 

Thanks for the response and enjoy the KEFs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12.8.2016 at 8:07 PM, Gert said:

Hi stan,

IThats not where these speakers shine they have a very clear and detailed midrange. I m still puzzled at what speaker really is, it looks likeca cadenze three way system but doesnot have an oval bass speaker , mine is round.. So m guess i have special preproduction model.

gert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My ques is that these are DIY-built Kef´s for two reasons. First... I am no aware that there has been any Kef-model using both B110 and B200 in the same enclosure. And... think that Ref 105-1 model was the only model to use removable or screw mounted front panel, and this was only for 12" woofer...  If you look inside cab and check the crossover SP-number and do some cross reference to http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/museum/ you may find if this is production model as there should  be no "mystery" models. It is possible that this was some experimental model, but even then removable front panel was not the way that Kef used to make speakers...

Kef-badges were available with Kef-kits so these do not prove anything to one way or to the other...

Your speakers look nice anyway... and thank you  for your first posting here and welcome to this friendly site.

Kimmo

Kimmo

Archived