Paisley's

HarryM

I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about this Canadian speaker brand as I have found very little info on them.I have a pair that I happened upon but one of the woofers is blown.I'm trying to find an original replacement or a correct recone kit. What I do know is that they were made by Ian Paisley who is very well known in the Canadian speaker industry.These were made around the mid 70's and would be considered higher end.The 8" version was about a $1000.Mine are a 2way with a 1" silk tweeter and a 61/2" woofer.They are ported boxes and they sound amazing though I don't think they would handle much more then 40 watts.It has a very elaborate cross over for a 2 way.The cabinet is 11 1/2"x11 1/2"x19 1/2".If it wasn't for how good they sound I wouldn't bother with them.Posting here is probably a long shot.I don't even know if they were available in the US.Anything anybody can tell me is helpful and appreciated. I tried attaching pictures but it didn't work. Thanks,Harry.

• 4 weeks later...

At one time, there was a 6 1/2" two way available in th US smaller than that. I don't remember the exact model number, but an aquantance of mine had these. Given the modest receiver that he had _ a very simple Technics _ the sound was indeed very good. In your situation, I don't think that you are going to find the original woofers for it, because drivers change frequently. You stated that yours were made around the mid 70s.You will have to do a "modification" here and put new woofers in them. There should be quite a few 6 1/2" woofers available from many good speaker driver vendors that would be good candidates for that system. You may end up with the system sounding better than original.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply bikdav,since I posted that I've found out some more about these speakers.It seems that they are most likely early ae 500's which where totl speakers and as far as I can tell used audax woofer and tweeter.Other than lucking out and finding originals I can update with energy or mirage 61/2".They were a common woofer for API with many updated versions.I do have 4 newer versions coming next week that all need surrounds that came out of a different model Paisley.Hopefully by the end of next week these will be back to what they once where. Thanks again,Harry.

Archived