Grill cloth for the 901 series V.....

lakecat

I just acquired a pair of V's with pedestals and equalizer for $100. The foams look good so wanted to compare to the series II I have. The problem with them is on one speaker, this previous owners' cat had sharpened his claws on the grill fabric on front corner. Shredded it...... and I called Bose to see if they might still carry it.

Only thing left was a back panel....and then tried to sell me an exchange for new for $599.

I am asking if anyone has ever located a material close to the Bose 901 V's? I know this is a long shot as most posts in here are ancient...but worth a try I guess. Thanks for any help.

Hey Cat

Suggest you post a photo. I looked onthe web but it looked like there were a couple of variations on brown/brown basket weave/brown tweed.

Do you want absolutely authentic?

Check epay item 161468294602 or just google vintage speaker cloth brown tweed. There is a "Fender style brown grill cloth" that may work

Interesting write-up on 901 restoration here http://solid-orange.com/hacks/bose-901-speaker-restoration

Kent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just acquired a pair of V's with pedestals and equalizer for $100. The foams look good so wanted to compare to the series II I have............................................................................................................................................

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the sound differences.

I originally had a pair of Series 2 back in college. They were late production run and Bose had switched from cloth surrounds to foam. My foam deteriorated and Bose replaced them with Series 6 for $350. The ported ones are more efficient and extend out to about 17kHz at the expense of bass. Not sure it was worth it. I believe the ported ones do not produce the lowest octave to go along with not being able to produce the top octave. I'm looking for some nice Series 2 with the wood fronts.

Archived