Why do you listen?

passport

As I sit here listening to music this evening, I ponder (for reasons that escape me) ... why.

Why have I chosen this evening to listen to music instead of watching the chewing-gum-for-the-eyes video that cable television presents to me.

What is it about the immersive experience of listening to music the seems to have more of a magnetic effect than watching video?

Why do you listen?

As I sit here listening to music this evening, I ponder (for reasons that escape me) ... why.

Why have I chosen this evening to listen to music instead of watching the chewing-gum-for-the-eyes video that cable television presents to me.

What is it about the immersive experience of listening to music the seems to have more of a magnetic effect than watching video?

Why do you listen?

Because it increases my mental acuity and allows me to enter a sacred space :rolleyes:

Roger

+1 on Owlsplace's comment. I find listening to good music on good speakers to be much more mentally engaging than watching run-of-the-mill TV. A natural outgrowth of the experience for me is a kind of meta-listening, or active meditation on the nature of sound and auditory perception, something which I can understand describing as "sacred." Not to get too esoteric. It just feels good.

As an aside, the above is why I am really upset at my cat for clawing out the foam around my AR1 woofers while I was out of town last week. Thankfully he did not molest the Altec drivers at all, and foam is an easy fix. I'm looking into fitting a set of PA-grade metal grills...

Archived