Ideas for Updated AR Library Section

KlausDK

Hello all,

I'm readying a major update to The Classic Speaker Pages. I could use help in two areas as I prepare the new AR section:

1.) A concise 1-2 paragraph biography on AR

2.) Ideas on how (if) I can better organize the various classic AR products

I am going to post a similar message in the other forums and will be pinning this topic in each. I realize we already have some bios in the Library, but I want to take a shot at a new bio that all visitors to the AR section will see when they enter.

Thanks,

Mark

Guest treblehit

Mark -

I can't imagine what sort of suggestions anyone can make. I think you've done an excellent job at categorizing the library references and sub-sub categorizing them would make them more difficult, not less difficult, to navigate.

Maybe I don't understand the question. Can you give us a hint at what sort of change we might envision?

You and I started talking about this years ago and I suppose both got busy and nothing came of it:

It would be really, really terrific if you could "trust" someone with the keys to the kingdom.

There are very, very useful things (schematics and the like) buried so deeply in the ever-growing forums that even when you know exactly what you are looking for it is still hard to find.

As a for-instance, Richard did an exceptional job of producing a 10pi schematic in PDF format. It took him a very long time to do. He consulted some forum regulars and not only did he get it right, he got it readable. It is a thing of beauty. It needed to be included as a reference item in the library under the 10pi model, but there is no clear way to submit such a thing for inclusion in the library.

Without naming anyone else specifically, for fear of offending an inadvertent omission, there have been significant submissions by many participants which deserve "library status," and no clear way of submitting them for inclusion.

You, like me, and most others here, work for a living. It isn't really fair to ask you to spend even an hour per week adding items to an archive and updating links. It wouldn't be fair of us to expect you to do more than you do. There have been times when I have not logged-in for several weeks in a row and I'm busier than I have ever been, so I'm not applying for the job.

I should have a LOT of new information for you soon (once Ken finds the UPS store nearest him). I'm going to attempt to categorize it and make it easily assimilated into the library.

I would like to know how to get it to you (or your proxy) for your final approval and posting.

Bret

In terms of organization, the AR section may be the best off. I solicited comments from Tom and others during the first reorganization. If everyone is ok with the way things are laid out now, I'll simply move that structure over to the new website.

Regarding additional material... I have a queue at my place as well. The new website template will make managing content *much* easier, so I'll get that done first then move onto adding content.

I hope to have a prototype ready to show some of you this weekend.

Mark

Hi Mark

Appreciate the work you are (and have been) doing for this valuable forum(s).

In order to reduce the load on your side, would it be possible to add an upload function into the library, where we can upload documents ourselves? In case of duplicates etc, you can always interfere/edit from your side afterwards.

It could maybe be done via an "in-tray" where all material are uploaded and immediately accessible, and then you could move them around later, to the correct archive. That would also make it easier for the users to see, if there were any interesting new materials uploaded, without having to flip through all the archives.

BRgds Klaus

• 2 weeks later...

On a more serious note

"Ideas for Updated AR Library Section"

One thing every library needs is a "shusher" and if it's a large library, a shusher-in-chief and assistant shushers. It's an onerous thankless job but someone has to do it. Being that this is a cyber-library, it will need a cyber-shusher. I made a few inquiries to see if Max Headroom had retired and might be available but his timesharing load of projects precludes him from helping out. Sorry I can't volunteer myself, I'm also maxed out. Good luck finding someone though. Minor detail but I thought it might be important :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest amarkscpa

Could you please add back the library items found at the old arsenal.net pages...?

Thanks. I need to put these on a pemanent file on my computer.

Namely:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:rsU2j...;cd=1&gl=us

“The Visible Speaker”

An AR-11, one of several mock-ups built for dealers back in the early-1980s

AR Truth in Listening Advertisement

AR Performance Advertisement

AR-11 through AR-18 User Manual

Includes specifications for models AR-11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18

AR-10 Pi Brochure

AR-10pi system assembly (TIF Format)

AR-10pi system assembly (MK I) (TIF Format)

AR-10pi User Instructions

AR-11 Brochure

AR-11 Crossover Schematic

Per Tom Tyson's email: "This is the initial schematic for the AR-11. I think all AR-11’s are the same, electrically, so it should apply. Note the 2-amp (FNM-2) fuse designation: I am not sure that any of these speakers had the fuse holder as a part of the circuit."

AR-11 system assembly (TIF Format)

AR-12 Brochure

AR-14 Brochure

AR-16 Brochure

Steve F comments on the AR-11 series brochures

AR-18 Final Assembly (TIF Format)

Picture of AR-MST

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello all,

I'm readying a major update to The Classic Speaker Pages. I could use help in two areas as I prepare the new AR section:

1.) A concise 1-2 paragraph biography on AR

2.) Ideas on how (if) I can better organize the various classic AR products

I am going to post a similar message in the other forums and will be pinning this topic in each. I realize we already have some bios in the Library, but I want to take a shot at a new bio that all visitors to the AR section will see when they enter.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I'm new to the classic speaker pages. I have a few brochures and marketing brochures for the AR5 and AR9 series. I haven't seen them in the library and was wondering if I should send them directly to you for posting (if interested). You have done a GREAT job from what I have seen so far.

Regards,

xpat

Mark,

I'm new to the classic speaker pages. I have a few brochures and marketing brochures for the AR5 and AR9 series. I haven't seen them in the library and was wondering if I should send them directly to you for posting (if interested). You have done a GREAT job from what I have seen so far.

Regards,

xpat

Hi there

If possible please scan and upload the photos to the library que forum, it's the safest method of seeing them posted.

Mailing unavailable literature today can be lost or damaged forever in transit.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I was surprised you didn't already have is a serial number to build-year table for the different models of speakers. AR, KLH, and any others that use sequential numbering. This would be a great resource to include here and would probably bring in a large number of google hits in.

Thanks for what you have here already - this is a great resource!

Something I was surprised you didn't already have is a serial number to build-year table for the different models of speakers. AR, KLH, and any others that use sequential numbering. This would be a great resource to include here and would probably bring in a large number of google hits in.

Thanks for what you have here already - this is a great resource!

This seems, on the face of it, to be a closely guarded secret. OTOH, there probably isn't a clear, well defined list all of the historians can agree on?.

This seems, on the face of it, to be a closely guarded secret. OTOH, there probably isn't a clear, well defined list all of the historians can agree on?.

Hi there

Part of the reason, I believe, that the serial numbers are not too well recorded was to keep production and sales numbers from other manufacturers.

We assume that the serial numbers are like license plates, they may not all be.

It would be kind of intimidating thinking that the competitor is outselling you based on serial numbers, when in fact they may be selling less.

One manufacturer may jump thousands of numbers after starting out in the thousand or tens of thousands serial numbers.

A while ago I suggested here when the AR chronological list was being redone, I had mentioned something quite difficult to implement and maintain.

I also don't think my idea was well received at all.

I had suggested that for each AR speaker model that had factory mods, without changing model numbers, be separately listed and possibly sub-identified.

An example, AR-2AX's were modified several times in components, yet were never re-labeled.

Another example, the famous AR-LST with several variations.

If someone here was to take on the task of, collecting and sorting, serial numbers with known components and serial numbers still intact a partial

serial number database could be started.

The problem of this is, as each member posts their specific information and serial numbers the list would need to be adjusted.

This may be daily, weekly or monthly to keep it accurate.

After a long period of time a pattern range would form for all of us to see.

I don't see Mark or Gene having such free time available.

This information would be invaluable to anyone buying or selling or just owning a pair of AR speakers.

At least a range of speakers serial numbers with similar components would be established.

Just a thought for today.

update 20110627 3:40 pm

Another thought is, documenting the date from their drivers when removed.

• 3 years later...

AR3 drive units are well documented in 3a rebuild section.

As our experts do have considerable know how and inventory of drive unit anyway, does anybody have time to make similar survey about other drive units used in early AR speakers?

Best Regards

Kimmo

• 1 year later...

Gather all measurements done by members here and external reports in one place sorted by model/element/xo/mods.

I want to find out how age is putting its stain on measurements. How to do that is very much work in process (no clue yet :D).

Regards

Hi Carl.

Well. :) one way to put a clarification is to try setting up a test as close to the ones made earlier. There are some decades between the oldest and the newest I guess.

It would be interesting to see if and how the elements and speakers have changed over the years before I restore anything compared to earlier reports.

Regards

I would refer you then to the published work of the late, great Roy Allison where he made measurements in a variety of real rooms. I suspect he documented well his measurement methodology. His AES paper is in the library. All others, I suspect, will have a lack of detail or be too variable to have any meaning.

Thank you Carl. That would be the definitive starting point :). But it would be interesting to know how the speakers have changed their specifications at age. When we know that we might find ways to refurbish to nearly original sound.

Regards

Edited by Turbon
Explanation of view

• 6 years later...