AR3a's; could it be?

VintageMan

Browsing on a ad-site I noticed an ad about a set AR3a's, in oiled Walnut, where the owner stated that the woofers where OK but he was not sure about the tweeters.

I immediately called him but all I got was his voice-mail.

Of course I left him a message and send him an e-mail as well, just to be sure :rolleyes:

Just 5 minutes later he returned my call and we talked about audio, audio and Acoustic Research.

He told me that the AR's are in perfect cosmetic condition, just missing one logo.

Honestly I told him that the pots could be the cause the tweeters aren't working.

He then told me he had a complete AR set, tuner and receiver as well.

When getting home tonight he will think things over and decide if he wants to let go of all the AR's and invite me over to come and see and take them home.

AR3a's; could it be?..... :wub:

overall condition and any evidence of molestation would be where I would start. If the sheets on the back are in tact they may have info on the finish, rosewood would be neat. If the pots are frozen don't be too concerned, they can easily be cleaned and/or replaced if needed.

Good luck and be sure to have the appropriate amount of cash with you!

by the way, what is this ad-site you speak of?

Lady's and Gentleman: I've got them :rolleyes:

They are in fair cosmetic condition, missing some chips here and there but i think that after a light sandpaper and oil they will look great.

The cloth needs replacing or re-doing, missing the AR3a logos on both.

The woofers work OK.

The tweeters did not make any sound, but; after moving the pots they came back to life ^_^

I will make some photo's later tonight.

I know you meant to say "cosmetic" but cosmic is good too! Good for you. I know you'll really enjoy working on them and listening to them. This is the right place to be for AR speakers.

der

I know you meant to say "cosmetic" but cosmic is good too! Good for you. I know you'll really enjoy working on them and listening to them. This is the right place to be for AR speakers.

der

I feel cosmic (out of this space) :lol:

Changed, thanks!

I feel cosmic (out of this space) :lol:

Changed, thanks!

I am very happy for you. I've owned and listened to AR3a since 1969.

der

Just got them out of my car; man are those heavy bast*rds :P

At first I tought that the fronts were made by himself but looking at images on the net they appear to be original.

They are rather "cheap" made ^_^

The fabrid need to be re-fitted because a lot of the staples are loose or missing.

So the only thing that looks missing are the AR3a logo's; anyone?

Pictures have to wait until tomorrow, left my camera at my work after returning from picking up the AR's.

congrats! did you come home with any other gear?

Nope, he has an AR Tuner and Amp, sad to say he could only find the tuner atm.

There not fitted in the nice wooden cabinets you see on some images so I'll probably pass if the price is not OK.

Those cabinets are pretty simple affairs: A top and 2 sides. A reasonably skilled woodworker should be able to make them, so don't rule out otherwise nice components if the price is right.

When I had an AR amp/tuner combo the amp had an original, beat-up cabinet that I spruced up and the tuner had a reproduction (I purchased the tuner from Vintage AR and it came with the repro cab). Sometimes I regret selling them, but there's only room for so much stuff.

-Kent

post-101828-0-35776300-1427375088_thumb.

post-101828-0-56949400-1427375096_thumb.

post-101828-0-16693900-1427375106_thumb.

post-101828-0-60324600-1427375113_thumb.

post-101828-0-20015300-1427375132_thumb.

so, I was poking around earlier and found an ad for a listing for "items for sale" on CL. Low and behold at the bottom of the list was a set of 3as, note of cabs rough and clothes ragged, but otherwise should be "functional". Also a orphan 4 (not 4x in the ad) serial in the 55xxx range? No pics in the ad, and the noted speakers were asking under $150 combined! About 75 miles from home too. Of course I dropped an email ASAP expressing a desire to buy cash, and have noticed the ad is missing those two line items now. No email response yet, so fingers crossed. Of course I will let you all know what develops.

Geoff

I owned an AR amplifier years ago. It stopped working but I don't recall what happened exactly. Don't remember what I did with it either. Wish I still had it.

der

• 2 weeks later...

Just got them out of my car; man are those heavy bast*rds :P

At first I tought that the fronts were made by himself but looking at images on the net they appear to be original.

They are rather "cheap" made ^_^

The fabrid need to be re-fitted because a lot of the staples are loose or missing.

So the only thing that looks missing are the AR3a logo's; anyone?

Pictures have to wait until tomorrow, left my camera at my work after returning from picking up the AR's.

When do we get to see some pictures? :)

Archived