Speakerstands: What is preferred?

VintageMan

I just acquired these KLH model 28 speaker stands and until I find the actual Model 28 speakers, maybe they will work well with others. Here they are holding up my AR3's! I dig it. They go great with all my MCM stuff of course (why I tracked them down). Yes, still working on my grilles.

tulip_10.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great looking set-up you've got, and I'd also love to find a pair of 28's. IIRC, those stands are meant to be screw fastened to the bottom of the 28's (which are meant to have a horizontal orientation). Are your AR-3's just in place with gravity and balance? Those stands made me think of the gorgeous KLH Twenty Plus three-component system, like this one for sale locally recently.

post-112624-0-74392000-1445458753_thumb.

The 3's are just sitting on it for now. The weight of the speakers combined with the spread of the tulip base is very steady it seems. I will probably make a wood plate to attach to the existing stand mount where the 28 would attach. Would be best if was just a little bigger. It is 7" x 7".

The stands are about 12.5" high so the tweeters hit right at my face while sitting. They swivel which is nice.

The Model 20 plus is fantastic! I saw that (or another like it) on a CList post here in the NW a few weeks ago. Was it Seattle? Portland? I can't recall. A couple days later I decided I should act on it but it was gone. It is darn cool! It was listed for $1,000 if I recall.

That system shown is my lower power tube set-up currently in use with Wharfedale W70's (thus the subwoofer in the middle). The AR System is to the right lurking in the shadows.

I was following a pair of the original metal AR 11 stands last week but missed the deadline to bid and they sold fairly cheaply. Argh.

• 3 months later...

My AR3a still sit on the original AR stands that I bought for them 40+ years ago. I've covered the tops of the legs with new felt a few times since then - most recently about 3 months ago.

der

I found that my AR3s that placed on custom-made AR stands, and whereby the four legs sitting on pencil erasers have exceptional improvement on sound. Please try.

Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that.

Here's mine on the copies of the original stands that i got from vintage-ar. This was taken during the holidays and the chair was there temporarily to make room for the tree. It's gone now. 1231150924%201.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that.

Just putting these erasers below the legs.

I wonder if the improved sound is simply a matter of raising the tweeters closer to ear level? And you find that the stands are as stable as they are with nothing under them?

• 11 months later...

I just came across this thread in my search for stands for me 3A's, mostly I'm looking for ideas and experiences of others. My audio room is in a carpeted basement room, and my impetus for stands is mostly based on getting the 3A's out of the way of any possible damage from contact with moisture.

Two of the designs that I see in this thread interest me,  the custom units that VintageMan had made, and the link here, <http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/#!%C2%A0> that ra.ra, (Hi ra.ra) provided. I like the additional height of the custom units that VintageMan had made, plus they seem so much more substantial then the original AR units.

Any other suggestions out there? I'll be really upset with myself if I go downstairs someday to find my 3A's sitting in even a quarter of an inch of water.

Hey Charles, good to see you're still lurking about here - - I hope that 8" cloth woofer is still working well for you!

You've targeted two very good options, but I can't really offer much help for you w/stands. I'm probably in the teensy minority, but when possible, I normally prefer AR speakers in the horizontal orientation - - they just look better to me. That said, I've never cared much for this early AR speaker stand - - without any triangulation or details about the spindly leg connections, I'd be very hesitant to plop a 40 or 50 pound box on top of these delicate constructions.

At the very least, perhaps you should cobble together some small bases just to get those buggers off the floor if you have concerns about basement moisture.

AR speaker stand.jpg

AR speaker base.jpg

The 4X woofer is still going strong, we use them in our television sound system, especially when watching live webcasts. 

Back in the 60's I always placed my first pair of 3A's horizontally , and would prefer to do that now, but I don't have the space. We have five pairs of various speakers setup and it is a bit crowded down there. I think I'm stuck between the more authentic, warm, and nostalgic look of the original look of the criss-cross style, and the more substantial metal stands available at A & M Custom Speaker Stands. The custom stands that VintageMan had made appear to be a bit stronger than the original AR versions, but it could be difficult finding someone to make them, so I am leaning to towards the metal A & M product.

One other question, this concerning the spikes. From what I have read here on the forum and in other places, I want to use spikes on carpet. Exactly what is it that the spikes do, and does it make a difference that I have a slab floor?

Thanks for the help with this!!!

FWIW I have my 3's stacked on top of my 3a's, all on the replica criss cross stands. I like playing them simultaneously but enjoy listening to them separately as well, especially the 3's. They are on top so about 25 inches above the ground.  I never had the original but those  stands are very strong and have no problem supporting the weight. 

These are the A&M stands, done in 5/4" tube stock.

The included spiked feet allow the stand to poke through the carpet into the underlayment, which makes for a very stable & level setup, and reduces the chance of wobble.

Here's a photo of the original AR steel stands, and an internet image of another set of 3a's on steel stands.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Samberger, I'm impressed, the criss cross style stands don't look that strong to me, especially when supporting the weight of two 3's. Thanks for the info, however I think I am still leaning towards the steel stands. Regarding the spikes, I guess I was thinking there was some esoteric audio reason for the spikes, but it does make sense that they can help to achieve a level setup.

Ar-pro, I really like the look of the AR brand steel frame, especially the fact that the size is exactly the same as the cabinet. I would be nice I A & M could match that.

Sure. I was just relaying my experience. Ultimately I'd like to get a stand that would put either pair of my speakers 25-30" above the ground, kinda like AR speaker stand/shelves. I prefer them horizontal. I'm looking at various units now and it's just a matter of getting something sturdy enough and has WAF, not necessarily in that order. 

I made those, (AR stands replica) and if they are properly constructed, they can support quite a bit of weight. Mine can support at least 200lb and more ,each stand, no problem. The metals stands are also very nice. When this photo was taken, I was using the HPM100.

IMG_3525.jpg

15 hours ago, Andre said:

I made those, (AR stands replica) and if they are properly constructed, they can support quite a bit of weight. Mine can support at least 200lb and more ,each stand, no problem. The metals stands are also very nice. When this photo was taken, I was using the HPM100.

IMG_3525.jpg

Hey Andre !

It's been a while. Hope all is well and Happy New Year.

Archived