What is the best alternative Tweeter for AR 10 Pi, AR 11 and AR 12 ?

aquila2010

At a mid to tweeter crossover point of 5000 hz, almost any tweeter could be made to work. What the modder should consider is the tweeter's dispersion characteristics if that is important. It's well known, the original 3/4 inch AR tweeter has/had very good dispersion.

The HiVi tweeter, while probably the best value, most adopted alternative to the original as Roy pointed out, critical listeners who've made that choice also note its dispersion characteristics are no match for the original.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 3:06 PM, Carlspeak said:

What the modder should consider is the tweeter's dispersion characteristics if that is important. It's well known, the original 3/4 inch AR tweeter has/had very good dispersion.

Carl,

That's why I think the Tympany 3/4", 4 ohm, fabric dome tweeter could be an intresting and low cost alternative to the original AR tweeters. Thanks to its 3/4" dimension, it should have a real good dispersion, better than 1" and larger dome tweeters.

Although Tympany shows measurements good but not excellent for this tweeter dispersion, manufacturer measurements can sometimes be not so precise and true, especially for low cost drivers.

Perhaps the biggest thing, besides low cost, the HiVi tweeter has going for it is its physical size and ease of 'drop in' to the existing cabinet holes without the need for an adapter plate. The Seas H1189 26 mm dome tweeter I used in my Super-Mod kits matched up well with the H1262 midrange, FWIW.

That Seas MR is an excellent replacement if you can't find an OEM. However, it's an open back mid and thus you will have to install a sealed chamber for it on the back side of the baffle board. I have info on how to do this if interested.

Dear Kimmo,

Unfortunately for us I do really think that the LS 3/5a has many more fans and lovers than any AR speakers. In fact a used "little" LS 3/5a cost as much as or more than a "big" vintage AR.

So the great interest around the LS 3/5a allow some manifacturers to make big profits on it. Unfortunately if no manufacturer has produced compatible drivers for vintage AR speakers untill now, I do not think it will happen anymore in the future.

I hoped that some manufacturer from China could have some interest on AR drivers but unfortunately this has not happened untill now at least.

Let's keep on hoping!

Best regards

Luigi

i suppose you are right Luigi. LS3/5A do have many fans, even production quantity was less than production of popular AR original models. On the other hand T27 was produced from 60´s to 90´s and used for may other Kef, Rogers, Lin etc. models too. I made ebay.com search today for T27, JBL LE25 and 3/4" AR tweeter used in original models. I found 33 pc T27, 24 pc LE25 and 9 pc AR tweeters to be available. Maybe this is one reason why there are close to original replacements available for T27 and LE25 but not for AR tweeter.

How we, and whole world, value vintage AR must be the other reason why there is no AR tweeter replacement yet. It is very unlikely to find LS3/5A or JBL L100 at thrift store, but it seems that I am the only member on the board unable to source AR´s from thrift stores. It is also a bit unusual to hear discussion about which low cost tweeter is suitable replacement for LS3/5A or L100.

Falcon Acoustic was lucky to have their former owner Malcolm Jones as consultant when they retooled T27 and B110. Malcolm Jones was actually member of original design team of Kef T27 and B110 in late 60´s. We should have a bit same kind of luck to materialize AR tweeter. My hope on China card is not too good... they can copy almost anything, but as we are now talking about something that is not going to be big business anyway... this must be more than usual business opportunity.

Best Regards

Kimmo

PS does anyone have any information how JBL LE25 copy was reissued?

Archived