Rectilinear Speaker #?

Guest orel

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me out on this. While looking at gear at my local Salvation Army Thrift store, I pick up (no really I had someone haul them out for me. They are huge.) a pair of rectilinear speakers which did not have a model number on them. I really wasn't in the market for speakers, but these intrigued me. They look special; they were individually numbered. what I can tell you is that they did not look particularly old and the cones and foam parts looked OK. Anyway there are two really small tweeters, two bigger tweeters, one mid range and a woofer with a bass port(?). The units (2) were in two hugh cabinets 3' x 2 1/2' weighting over 60 lbs each. Two controls were on the back for the tweeter and mid range.

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to find any information about the product or even the company!

Thanks.

:P I found out that the are Rectilinear IIIs after all, Low boys!

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me out on this. While looking at gear at my local Salvation Army Thrift store, I pick up (no really I had someone haul them out for me. They are huge.) a pair of rectilinear speakers which did not have a model number on them. I really wasn't in the market for speakers, but these intrigued me. They look special; they were individually numbered. what I can tell you is that they did not look particularly old and the cones and foam parts looked OK. Anyway there are two really small tweeters, two bigger tweeters, one mid range and a woofer with a bass port(?). The units (2) were in two hugh cabinets 3' x 2 1/2' weighting over 60 lbs each. Two controls were on the back for the tweeter and mid range.

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to find any information about the product or even the company!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks.

Those are Rectilinear III High Boys, manufactured from 1968 till around 1974. They are very highly regarded by many people, and garnered much praise back when they were first introduced. Julian Hirsch of Stereo review said they were the equal of Quad electrostatics except the Rectilinears had better bass response. There is a wealth of information on these speakers, here and on Audiokarma.org.

Here's a link to a long thread on the III's:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.ph...ar+III+Highboys

The drivers should all have cloth surrounds, not foam. They were siliconed in without the use of screws. If you see screws or foam, it could mean that the drivers are not original.

You have a great pair of speakers there.......................enjoy!

• 8 months later...

OK, it has been several months after purchasing these speakers....

Yes, you are right, there are no foam parts, so I guess that is rubberized cloth between the cone and the base.

I do have a broken tweeter, I guess. How does one replace those? They look like they are made out of cardboard.

Also, I have one major concern, I was powering one on line with another speaker and my receiver started to smoke. The two large (transformers, capacitors) basicly melted and you guessed it, the receiver was dead. So I had to buy another. I didn't think it was the speakers to short them out. Besides, the receiver (Yamaha 9000) puts out 100 watts/channel, and I thought such units have a fuse or other protection circuits for such problems. Otherwise, I did not detect a problem with the speaker.

Now the other day, I was powering the other speaker with another speaker of a different type and after awhile, a funny smell was coming out of my old receiver (Altec 400- yes i know very old, 20 W/ch). Should I suspect a internal short in the speaker? Do I need to work on speaker, as in taking it apart (that prospect scares me).

Thanks

Those are Rectilinear III High Boys, manufactured from 1968 till around 1974. They are very highly regarded by many people, and garnered much praise back when they were first introduced. Julian Hirsch of Stereo review said they were the equal of Quad electrostatics except the Rectilinears had better bass response. There is a wealth of information on these speakers, here and on Audiokarma.org.

Here's a link to a long thread on the III's:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.ph...ar+III+Highboys

The drivers should all have cloth surrounds, not foam. They were siliconed in without the use of screws. If you see screws or foam, it could mean that the drivers are not original.

You have a great pair of speakers there.......................enjoy!

Archived