Cizek Model 1Rheostats

David 62

I recently had a pr. of Cizek model 1's refoamed and they sound great except the rheostats give static.Does anybody know of a good source for replacements?One is 2 ohms,which is the bad one,and the other is 10 ohms.

David

Does anybody know how to date the Cizek model 1's?My examples have a border of foam surrounding the front of the speaker that holds the removable foam grills on.Other models that I have seen have plastic velcro type material that holds a foam grill on.Thanks,

David

Do your Model Ones have a label on the back? There will be an address for Cizek there.

These are my best estimates: California Street in Newton, MA would be 1976 to 1978. Stevens Street in Andover, MA would be 1978-80. Canal Street in Lawrence, MA would be 1980-83

Does anybody know how to date the Cizek model 1's?My examples have a border of foam surrounding the front of the speaker that holds the removable foam grills on.Other models that I have seen have plastic velcro type material that holds a foam grill on.Thanks,

David

Do your Model Ones have a label on the back? There will be an address for Cizek there.

These are my best estimates: California Street in Newton, MA would be 1976 to 1978. Stevens Street in Andover, MA would be 1978-80. Canal Street in Lawrence, MA would be 1980-83

Thanks for the information.They were made on Steven's St.

I recently had a pr. of Cizek model 1's refoamed and they sound great except the rheostats give static.Does anybody know of a good source for replacements?One is 2 ohms,which is the bad one,and the other is 10 ohms.

David

Hi David and welcome.

I'm not familiar with Cizek, other than knowing they are very highly regarded, so I don't want to gum up the forum with my ignorance, but since no one has answered.....

Do you have more info on the rheostats? Pictures or any markings on them? I'm wondering if they, like the rheostats (pots) in AR speakers can be replaced with simple L-pads OR whether the Ohmite replacements often discussed in the AR forum might work. You could also examine them and see if there is a way to get some de-ox-it inside. Sorry I can't be of more help but the Cizek is relatively rare. If you wait a while you may get a more knowledgeable Cizek enthusiast to answer, but in the meantime try to get more info and, if possible, photos.

Kent

Hi David and welcome.

I'm not familiar with Cizek, other than knowing they are very highly regarded, so I don't want to gum up the forum with my ignorance, but since no one has answered.....

Do you have more info on the rheostats? Pictures or any markings on them? I'm wondering if they, like the rheostats (pots) in AR speakers can be replaced with simple L-pads OR whether the Ohmite replacements often discussed in the AR forum might work. You could also examine them and see if there is a way to get some de-ox-it inside. Sorry I can't be of more help but the Cizek is relatively rare. If you wait a while you may get a more knowledgeable Cizek enthusiast to answer, but in the meantime try to get more info and, if possible, photos.

Kent

Kent,

I determined that they are 2 ohm rheostats.I ordered replacements from Digikey.I will report back on how they function.

Dave

Kent,

I determined that they are 2 ohm rheostats.I ordered replacements from Digikey.I will report back on how they function.

Dave

One speaker is OK with the new rheostat,but the other sounds very muted.I'm suspecting a crossover cap.Does anybody have a schematic for cizek model 1's?

• 3 weeks later...
I had clipped/saved the image from somewhere-- I finally remembered that it came from this article.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...-1134814704.jpg

Rickrob,

Thanks for posting the article and the Cizek crossover schematic.The picture looks like a prototype crossover.I have my Cizek model 1 working.I had to put another Peerless tweeter in it that I borrowed from a pair of Cizek model 2's that I also own.I had to replace the Q switch and a rheostat as well.

David

Rickrob,

Thanks for posting the article and the Cizek crossover schematic.The picture looks like a prototype crossover.I have my Cizek model 1 working.I had to put another Peerless tweeter in it that I borrowed from a pair of Cizek model 2's that I also own.I had to replace the Q switch and a rheostat as well.

David

It could be a prototype-- I have an extra pair of Model one crossovers that I was going to create a schematic from, I never compared that drawing against the crossovers I have.

Glad to hear the Model 1 is working. They're great speakers. I have two pairs that I restored. Pics of one pair of mine are in the Library section.

Are you the original owner of your Cizeks?

It could be a prototype-- I have an extra pair of Model one crossovers that I was going to create a schematic from, I never compared that drawing against the crossovers I have.

Glad to hear the Model 1 is working. They're great speakers. I have two pairs that I restored. Pics of one pair of mine are in the Library section.

Are you the original owner of your Cizeks?

Rob,

First let me say that it is great to be corresponding with another Cizek owner.I bought my model 2's new in 1978 at J.B. Sound Systems in Rochester,N.Y.I bought the model 1's on C.L. and jumped when I saw them.I think that they are great speakes as well.I borrowed a Peerless tweeter from one of my model 2's to put in the model 1.I bought a repro. tweeter from Midwest Speaker Supply which sounds pretty decent until I find another Peerless for the model 2.I did not re-capp any of the crossovers and the way they have the coils glued on top of the caps,it would be a surgical procedure to get to the caps.Have you re-capped your crossovers? How are your rheostats?

Dave

Rob,

First let me say that it is great to be corresponding with another Cizek owner.I bought my model 2's new in 1978 at J.B. Sound Systems in Rochester,N.Y.I bought the model 1's on C.L. and jumped when I saw them.I think that they are great speakes as well.I borrowed a Peerless tweeter from one of my model 2's to put in the model 1.I bought a repro. tweeter from Midwest Speaker Supply which sounds pretty decent until I find another Peerless for the model 2.I did not re-capp any of the crossovers and the way they have the coils glued on top of the caps,it would be a surgical procedure to get to the caps.Have you re-capped your crossovers? How are your rheostats?

Dave

Dave,

I have not not recapped my crossovers (yet), but I know what you mean about the coils. There's one that's glued right to a couple of the caps with what looks like hot glue. It would be a task to recap them. My rheostats are OK. I sprayed some De-Oxit on them when I rebuilt my Model Ones. I'm still working on the second pair-- The cabinets are re-veneered in Black Walnut. I still need to recover the front baffle board with new foam, make some new grill covers and refoam the woofers.

Rick

Dave,

I have not not recapped my crossovers (yet), but I know what you mean about the coils. There's one that's glued right to a couple of the caps with what looks like hot glue. It would be a task to recap them. My rheostats are OK. I sprayed some De-Oxit on them when I rebuilt my Model Ones. I'm still working on the second pair-- The cabinets are re-veneered in Black Walnut. I still need to recover the front baffle board with new foam, make some new grill covers and refoam the woofers.

Rick

Rick,

It would be tough to remove the coil glued on top of the caps especially since the wires coming off of the coil is very thin and easily broken.When I reglued the crossover board back in the case,I put a piece of soft,thin poly packing foam over the board so the fiberglass would not get wrapped up in the coil wires.Did you re-veneer the cabinet yoursel?Did you take the rheostat apart to get the De-oxit in?The rheostats look to be well sealed.What part of the country are you in?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Rick,

It would be tough to remove the coil glued on top of the caps especially since the wires coming off of the coil is very thin and easily broken.When I reglued the crossover board back in the case,I put a piece of soft,thin poly packing foam over the board so the fiberglass would not get wrapped up in the coil wires.Did you re-veneer the cabinet yoursel?Did you take the rheostat apart to get the De-oxit in?The rheostats look to be well sealed.What part of the country are you in?

Dave

Yes, I re-veneered the cabs on both of my sets of Model Ones. I used the Titebond Adhesive and Household iron method to adhere the veneer to the cabinets. I sprayed the De-oxit in the rheostats through an opening in the metal case , right where two black wires connect.

I'm in the Boston area, about 40 minutes west of the city . Where are you located?

Rick

Yes, I re-veneered the cabs on both of my sets of Model Ones. I used the Titebond Adhesive and Household iron method to adhere the veneer to the cabinets. I sprayed the De-oxit in the rheostats through an opening in the metal case , right where two black wires connect.

I'm in the Boston area, about 40 minutes west of the city . Where are you located?

Rick

Rick,

Good job re-veneering your cabinets.My model 1's could use a coat of varnish,but the veneer is in good shape.The grill foam is pretty fair other than a few paint drops and minor cat damage.I need a set of badges.The main thing is that they sound great after woofer re-foam,one new tweeter, two new rheostats and a new Q switch.Since they sound good,I see no reason to re-cap.the crossovers,which as you know would be major surgery with all of the glue and chokes in the way.My rheostats look well sealed and I did not see any access for spraying De-oxit,but all is working well now anyway.I have a set of model 2's on my upstairs system which also are nice sounding.I live in Rochester,N.Y.Cizek speakers were sold here by at least one stereo shop in the '70's,and were very well respected.Back in '78 when I bought my model 2's,I had wished that I could afford the model 1's...It took a long time to get the model 1's!

Dave

Rick,

Good job re-veneering your cabinets.My model 1's could use a coat of varnish,but the veneer is in good shape.The grill foam is pretty fair other than a few paint drops and minor cat damage.I need a set of badges.The main thing is that they sound great after woofer re-foam,one new tweeter, two new rheostats and a new Q switch.Since they sound good,I see no reason to re-cap.the crossovers,which as you know would be major surgery with all of the glue and chokes in the way.My rheostats look well sealed and I did not see any access for spraying De-oxit,but all is working well now anyway.I have a set of model 2's on my upstairs system which also are nice sounding.I live in Rochester,N.Y.Cizek speakers were sold here by at least one stereo shop in the '70's,and were very well respected.Back in '78 when I bought my model 2's,I had wished that I could afford the model 1's...It took a long time to get the model 1's!

Dave

Dave,

I first heard a pair of Model Ones in '82-- They belonged to my stepdad, and he purchased them in '78 I think. He later loaned them to a friend and never got them back.

I found my first pair on Craigslist Boston 25 years later. I found the 2nd pair a year later which were given to me. I run one set on a late 70's and early 80's all Sansui system-- FR-5080 turntable with a Shure V-15 model III, TA-500 Tuner-Amp/SE-8 EQ/ SC5330 Cassette Deck and PCV-750 /CDV-350 CD players.

What do you run your Cizek's on?

I may be able to help you with some badges-- I made some reproductions that came out pretty good. They are not metal, but they are laser printed on Gold metallized stock, then laminated in plastic. I attached a picture of what they look like. I think I still have some of the gold stock left.

Rick

post-101222-1271783699.jpeg

Dave,

I first heard a pair of Model Ones in '82-- They belonged to my stepdad, and he purchased them in '78 I think. He later loaned them to a friend and never got them back.

I found my first pair on Craigslist Boston 25 years later. I found the 2nd pair a year later which were given to me. I run one set on a late 70's and early 80's all Sansui system-- FR-5080 turntable with a Shure V-15 model III, TA-500 Tuner-Amp/SE-8 EQ/ SC5330 Cassette Deck and PCV-750 /CDV-350 CD players.

What do you run your Cizek's on?

I may be able to help you with some badges-- I made some reproductions that came out pretty good. They are not metal, but they are laser printed on Gold metallized stock, then laminated in plastic. I attached a picture of what they look like. I think I still have some of the gold stock left.

Rick

Rick,

Funny,because I was going to ask you what you are driving your Cizeks with.I bet that your speakers are right at home with that good vintage Sansui.I am using a Mcintosh Mc250 S.S. amp.with a Hagerman Clarinet tube preamp.which I built this past winter.The Hagerman preamp.is sweet with the old amp.and the Cizeks.I need to upgrade my Dual 510 turntable,but it sounds OK with a Signet cartridge.I use a NAD CD player,and just need more time to actually relax and enjoy the music.I am intrested in your reproduction badges.Please let me know how to best contact you.Thanks,

Dave

Archived