AR93 on stands

Guest jel

Hi,

I've got an original pair of AR93's with the foam surrounds repaired.

I'm looking to see if any other improvements can be made.

One thing I was thinking of was putting them on stands.

Has anyone tried this?

Are there any recommendations on how high?

Thanks

Guest hilltroll67

The only purpose (other than decorative) for putting speakers on stands is to get the tweeters the same distance from the floor as you are when you're listening to them. The importance of this varies directly with how poorly the drivers disperse sound off-axis. If you normally listen from an easy chair, The AR93's ought to do well without stands. If they are setting on a carpet you could investigate spikes. Those could change the bass you hear.

Bob

Guest hilltroll67

>The speakers are on carpet, but I have put spikes on them.

>

>In my normal listening position, the tweeter is about 200mm

>below my ears.

That's about 8 inches? Should be close enough, but you could try the "elevation by phonebooks" method to simulate what stands would do for you. If the 93 uses a cone tweeter (like the 94 does) it is much stronger on-axis than off, but if your listening position is, say, 10 feet away. your ears will be easily 'in the beam' even if the tweeter is 8 inches below them.

Back in the heyday of Stereo Review magazine their guy (Julian Hirsch?) used a test tone and a dB meter to determine how much the sound level dropped at a given angle off-axis. You can do the same; just be careful how much signal you feed the tweeter (there really isn't a lot of high frequency component in most music).

Regards,

Bob

If you put them on stands, you will loose some of the lower bass response. The speaker was designed to be on the floor, back against the wall, at least a couple feet (600mm), (prefer more) from the side wall, with each speaker a different distance from its cooresponding sidewall.

Guest Eunomians

I think that some speakers don't need to be up on stands. For example, i don't think that the AR-9 should be on stands, but, the 3a does.

The issue of carpet and spikes is a bit different. When one has wall to wall carpeting, then spikes should be in order (no matter the speaker).

Archived