Opinion on Allison Six - re-foamed drivers

dwcoleman

I may purchase some Allison Six speakers with re-foamed drivers. I may not be able to hear these before purchasing but I know the craigslist seller. The tweeters are apparently fine. Do people think these will fairly reproduce the sound from the original sixes assuming nothing else was modified?

Also what is the best position for these speakers? I had a pair in the 80's but I do not remember.

Much thanks

DWC

The key to a good refoam of Allison woofers is using the filleted foam. There's really only one on the market today that's sold by many and used by refoamers (like myself) to refoam Allisons, Boston Acoustics and a few others. If the craigslist speakers have the filleted foam, then you shouldn't have any worries about that - as long as the VC was centered in the process.

IIRC, those sixes were designed to be placed up against a wall for best bass response.

Thanks for the reply.

I am really a dummy when it comes to speakers. These have great sentimental value to me. But the guy wants $195 plus shipping. I know they are incredibly rare. I had a pair (ex got them.) So I guess I'll ask how he did the refoam.

Putting the sentimentality aside, do you think that price is too high?

Don C

Archived