AR-18b Tweeter

johnieo

Please help me to understand if these AR-18b speakers have the correct tweeters.

The 6-1/2-in-deep case and the model 200037-0 woofer, and 5 uF crossover cap are consistent with what should be inside an AR-18b. The 18b was advertised to use a 1-1/4-in-diameter liquid-cooled, cone tweeter.

My issue is that the tweeter drivers in this pair are not the same part number (200034-0) described in an earlier note, posted I believe by Tom Tyson. Rather, they are p.n. 200038-0; cone tweeters; 1-1/4in (32 mm) diameter with a 9/16"-in (15 mm) central cone and a separate plastic mesh cover; 8.1 oz. Which this the correct tweeter for this unit? Or did it use two or more?

cheers,

>Please help me to understand if these AR-18b speakers have

>the correct tweeters.

>

>The 6-1/2-in-deep case and the model 200037-0 woofer, and 5 uF

>crossover cap are consistent with what should be inside an

>AR-18b. The 18b was advertised to use a 1-1/4-in-diameter

>liquid-cooled, cone tweeter.

>

>My issue is that the tweeter drivers in this pair are not the

>same part number (200034-0) described in an earlier note,

>posted I believe by Tom Tyson. Rather, they are p.n. 200038-0;

>cone tweeters; 1-1/4in (32 mm) diameter with a 9/16"-in (15

>mm) central cone and a separate plastic mesh cover; 8.1 oz.

>Which this the correct tweeter for this unit? Or did it use

>two or more?

>

>cheers,

John,

I believe that I mislead someone along the way, as the correct part number for the 1-1/4-inch cone tweeter used in the AR-18B is indeed the 200038-0 (or subsequently, 1200038-0), exactly as you indicated. This tweeter was used in the AR-93, AR-94, AR-18s, AR-18B, AR-8B, AR-28B and the AR-38s. There actually is not a part with the 200034-0 number to my knowledge, and I think it was a typo on my part.

--Tom Tyson

An ebay posting (5703982047) lists two AR-18b tweeters. The seller and his photo say that these are p.n. 200034-0. Assuming that the seller is correct in stating that these drivers did indeed come from an 18b, I'm guessing Tom's original post was correct. Perhaps, during its production run, AR made some very minor change? My 18b units have serial numbers beginning with "V," which likely indicates a later production run.

At this point, we're satisfied. At issue was whether my purchase was 18b, or the lower quality 18bx. It turns out that the 18bx had a deeper cabinet, a 1-in-diameter tweeter, and a different woofer. It would appear that for little more than the cost of two woofer refoams, I found a great pair of surround speakers!

Thanks Tom; coming from a company with infinitely more part numbers than AR, I appreciate the issue.

Archived