Garage Sale Season

DavidDru

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was getting a fair amount of skips and poor reading on my old old NAD CD player so I had been reading about how easy it was to clean the laser optics so I gave it a try. All the difference in the world.

Yep, those old lasers can always use a clean. Revisited the Bargain Bin today but no cable or remote in evidence for the Denon mini set. They always have something though, more Monster cables. Curiously, I was 6'4" plus when I graduated high school but have shortened up a bit in my old age -- there were two women in there taller than I. Don't see that very often :)

At the main store next door I picked up a Kenwood tuner to go with the integrated amp for $3.99 and while I was there a Sony 300 disc changer for $9.99. Let's see that would be about two weeks of continuous music with out ever hearing the same song! It had a few discs piled up in the back but plays fine once removed. Oh, I guess you can chain these together and fade between units plus there is a keyboard input. Whoo, guess you would need a manual to figure all that out :)

There seems to be a bit of a glut of this equipment out there. Now if someone would just drop off a Krell set and some LST's ... yeah, right!

Roger

Yes, absolute glut. Especially source players like CD and DVD players. None if few are worthy as most are about to give up the ghost mechanically and have mostly unobtainium parts or would be too costly to bother to fix. The thrifts should just throw most of it away. On the other hand you can keep your eyes peeled for specific things like SACD players which are often disguised as CD or DVD players. ES level Sony stuff sometimes gets mistakeingly lumped in with the other Sony stuff. There are also some older CD players that used good DAC chips and decent transports by various brands along the way too. For instance, many feel the cd player in original Playstation is as good as anything.

I personally mostly stop by these places on the lookout for speaker stands. MCM furniture and art as well. mi biggest failure at a thrift was passing on a pair of unknown speakers that were about 4' high and 12" wide and long that looked rather well made (the double binding post kinda gets you thinking). Had the weirdest name on them - Vortex Screen. They wanted $100 so i kinda paused. It was late one day and I passed because I was in a bit of a hurry. Researched what they were later and was like holly schmolly I gotta go back and get those. Went back first thing in the AM and they were already gone.

Gonna head towards the gym now here early Saturday AM and will probably get diverted along the way by garage sale signs!

We gave away all our CD and DVD players on Freecycle, after ripping all the discs to lossless files on a home server. Streaming through a Roku box to the audio system and I can't really detect any difference compared to the original digital source. Haven't tried ripping analog LPs to digital, but I have so many LPs compared to my relatively small collection of CDs that it probably wouldn't be worth the effort even if the sound is ok.

KLH Model 23's

$20

Not too bad. cabs will definitely need sanding down and refinishing - maybe the tops re-veneered since there are a couple deeper gouges.

Very nice, David. Just some cds here.

We gave away all our CD and DVD players on Freecycle, after ripping all the discs to lossless files on a home server. Streaming through a Roku box to the audio system and I can't really detect any difference compared to the original digital source. Haven't tried ripping analog LPs to digital, but I have so many LPs compared to my relatively small collection of CDs that it probably wouldn't be worth the effort even if the sound is ok.

I think that is getting to be the standard these days that's why I'm having fun collecting $1 cds :)

I used to "rip" all my LPs to reel-to-reel back in the 70s. They usually were only played twice.

We haven't heard from KLH maven Andrew Hayden lately but the Twenty-Three was one his favorites. Excellent find!

-Kent

I am no KLH expert, but here is a thread about the twenty-three that I have enjoyed.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=649507

Random curious question: Is there any other vintage cabinet design that employs a similar design with a different edge profile for the vertical (long) edges that is not the same as the horizontals (short) edges?

I am no KLH expert, but here is a thread about the twenty-three that I have enjoyed.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=649507

Random curious question: Is there any other vintage cabinet design that employs a similar design with a different edge profile for the vertical (long) edges that is not the same as the horizontals (short) edges?

Yeah, Glenn does a great job and provides a lot of good posts on it. His were a little more beat up than these are but I will have a couple corners to rebuild.

I listened to them all afternoon yesterday and they sound pretty good.

Woohoo! :D

Not a garage sale find--thrift store.

I had been thinking there are NO good finds at my local GW or Sal any more. Yesterday I went to the GW and saw a subwoofer. I'd been looking for one to include with some speakers I'm building as a gift for friends, but the one I saw yesterday wasn't familiar to me (NEC SW-400) and I thought it was over-priced ($55 IIRC). When I got home I googled them and there's virtually no info but I got the impression they are desirable so today I went back. Sometimes there are 1-day sales. Maybe I'd get lucky.

Well, the sub was still there but what else did I spy? A pair of AR-4x's. Hot dog! I grabbed them, plunked down $20 and rushed to my car, elated (and completely forgetting about the sub).

I have a special affection for the 4x. My very first speakers, purchased new in October 1969, were 4x's (SN FX262692 & FX262765). They were also my first restoration project, guided by CSP members, especially John O'Hanlon, back in April 2006.

These are SN FX127823 & FX128152, so a little older. Their condition is remarkable for speakers nearly a half-century old! One logo is missing and the side of one speaker is very light (bleached by the sun?). I counted a grand total of 3 veneer chips--2 minor and one about 3/4" x 3/4" on a back corner. I may make a veneer patch for that.

The original labels are in good shape. Original nuts are there. And the linen grille cloth is nearly perfect.

My one gripe is my own fault: In my haste to pry the grilles off I cracked one. Did not remember all the long nasty staples driven clear through the frame! No worries--I'm sure I can fix it without trashing the cloth.

When I get a chance to open these up I'll start a thread. Will probably use surplus caps, L-pads, resistors and my reproduction logos.

-Kent

post-101828-0-58738900-1434493453_thumb.

post-101828-0-47977800-1434493460_thumb.

post-101828-0-43214300-1434493470_thumb.

post-101828-0-41401500-1434493477_thumb.

post-101828-0-88242500-1434493484_thumb.

to ar_pro: I should have clarified my rhetorical question in post 34 by asking only about bookshelf speakers - - - surely, there are tons of fine floor-standers that have asymmetrical compositions, but nonetheless I really enjoyed seeing those Altecs. Thx.

to David: yep, Glenn does really great work and he has the disease worse than me - - was able to meet him last year and no surprise, he's truly a great guy and an interesting character.

to Kent: you know I always like to hear a 4x story with a happy ending. Those speakers look terrific, and with your touch, they will become true "collectibles". Even with s/n's at 120K, these display two mundane characteristics of 'early' products - - - the stapled grilles and the plywood cabinets. If you had not uttered the final three words in your post, I would have directed you to a chap I know in Jersey that makes excellent repro badges :lol: . I can't believe you left behind your targeted sub-woofer - - - now that is funny.

My first speakers were 4x's, too, but purchased new a year later than yours in 1970. Thanks to this site, 45 years hence, they are still here, now modified into pseudo-4xa's with the necessary tweeter and cap adjustment.

How do you get those staples out without pulling the linen?

Dental pick, awl, pliers and a lot of cussing ;)

Woohoo! :D

Not a garage sale find--thrift store.....

When I get a chance to open these up I'll start a thread. Will probably use surplus caps, L-pads, resistors and my reproduction logos.

-Kent

Great find ... you just never know when these are going to fall out of the sky :)

uGGH! I think I just missed on a Threshold Amp that someone listed on CList here for, get this,...............$50! 2nd one to call and so if the 1st falls thru its mine to go for. yeah, right. Good bye.

Of course I could have offered double or more just to see if they accepted it I guess, but I am not that kinda guy typically.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. I hate it if someone else comes along and steals my deal with a higher offer, so I don't do it. You have to need it more than I do to do that....

this time the the seller pulled it and then listed it on ebay. Ended up getting $367 for it.

Stopped by a moving sale in my neighborhood this AM and scored a pair of M&K S-85 satellite speakers for $5 each plus a M&K V75 Mkii subwoofer for $10. Great condition. Will be moved to help fund the fun stuff!

Gentlemen, my warmest greetings! I hope that you are all having an excellent summer. At your convenience, would you please review the photos of what seems to be very early AR-2ax speaker. The back controls looks out of place to me. Has anyone seen or dealt such a thing?

post-121830-0-02881600-1437314606_thumb.

post-121830-0-19483100-1437314612_thumb.

With Thanks,

Greg

Edit - Strike that request! It is an AR-2x... I keep seeing an "a" in these names for some reason...

Not sure how many 2x's were produced, but that s/n appears to be a fairly low number so I'd guess this pair has the original cloth woofer and the 3-1/2" tweeter (per pic below) - - - these would have a single 6uF cap. Later versions had a woofer with foam surround and eventually changed to the 2-1/2" tweeter found in the popular 4x (with 20uF cap).

post-112624-0-54811400-1437347299_thumb.

Archived