Altec Lansing 9 Series 2

Hi folks, Michael here and looking for some info. I've got a pair of Altec Lansing 9 Series 2 speakers that are in pretty poor condition. The cones of the woofer and midrange are shot and the foam cover has disintergrated. Is there any value to replacing the parts and are the parts even avail? They're from 1978. Seems awful throwing something away that weighs 50lbs.

Your thoughts!

Thanks

Hi folks, Michael here and looking for some info. I've got a pair of Altec Lansing 9 Series 2 speakers that are in pretty poor condition. The cones of the woofer and midrange are shot and the foam cover has disintergrated. Is there any value to replacing the parts and are the parts even avail? They're from 1978. Seems awful throwing something away that weighs 50lbs.

Your thoughts!

Thanks

Hi there

I am not very familiar with these speakers.

A re-cone kit is very critical in it's alignment, I would suggest a professional replacement for this particular brand.

A lot of members have re-foamed or re-coned their speakers such as, AR, Advent and others which are less critical with their larger magnetic gap.

• 1 month later...

Your thoughts!

Thanks

Michael,

These are classics. I got a pair and in process of restoration. New foam speaker surrounds (4 for $30+) @ http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/speakerkits.htm#12, refurb the oak cabinets (time and elbow grease) and new foam grills ($90pr) @ sales@foamspeakergrilles.com. They are worth investing time, effort and $$. Mostly going for around $300 to $400 for a pair in good to excellent condition. They weigh 56# each. Do not throw away - donate them or sell them "as is". There are always collectors and restorers looking for vintage audio. Jer

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I got lucky with mine and only had to pay a professional to replace the woofer foams and the more tricky midrange surrounds. I still haven't found a suitable cap to glue to the back of the mids but aside from that these are really wonderful speakers. I've read in a few places that this was the best Altec ever released that didn't have a horn. I've never owned that level of their line but these fill the house with beautiful music at even the lowest volume. 

Archived