AR-M6 with re-coned midranges

benrubes

Hi guys,

I saw an M6 for sale locally (in Manila) for some $250, and, owning an M4.5 myself, I have long been hunting for this TOTL of the Holographic Imaging line. The M4.5 is a fine speaker that is wonderful with vocals, but a bit lacking at the bottom end.

Problem is, the seller said he had the midranges (originally 5 " polypropylenes) re-coned with paper ones. He has assured me they sound just like the original, but I have serious doubts about this considering the change in material and other changes related to the re-coning process.

Are my doubts unfounded, or should I just wait some more till I can get an M5 or M6 with all-original drivers? What changes in sound quality occur during a re-cone to another type of speaker diaphragm?

From personal experience, I know that a change in type of tweeter can have great impact; when a faulty receiver blew my AR-15 Hi-Res titanium tweeters and these were replaced with the best Radio Shack tweeters I could find locally, I couldn't bear listening to them afterwards and they are just gathering dust somewhere in the house until I can find the original ones.

i can imagine the change in sound quality would be even more with an off-spec midrange? I have tried to hunt for some replacement M6 midrange drivers on the internet, none to be found apparently.

On another matter, there is an AR-92 also for sale at almost twice the M6's price, which the seller assures me is pristine and all-original. I have been lusting for a 9-series AR, but I am leery of their power-hungry nature. Am I ok with a 200-watt Luxman M-117 and 100-watt SAE Mark 4 DM, or would getting a 4-ohm speaker like the AR-92 shorten the lives of my amplifiers?

Would appreciate any inputs, Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I had a pair of M5's that I picked up reasonably, that had some poor fitting ratchack replacement mids, they were too small (IIRC they were 4" and the M5/M6 midwoof is 4.5" I found some woofers out of the newer AR "the edge" speakers on ebay, and they were a perfect physical fit, and also blended very well with the rest of the system with the stock xover. original M5/M6 midwoofs don't come along that often, but these might be another avenue to look into

Thanks for the reply,Actually, i was thinking of getting the M6s and then replacing the midwoofs with those from a holographic imaging center speaker that's also for sale. Would those be a perfect fit or are they the same part?

But then again, I figure I will just continue enjoying my M4.5s until I can get another M5 or M6 that's all original.

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately, the mids in the M5's and M6's are polypropylene 5"s.

I have the AR Holographic Imaging MC-1's center channel speakers. Tthe mids on those are polypropylene 4"s.

The head units for these speakers incorporate a carefully tuned (sized) ported and stuffed enclosure for the mids with a much more expensive air-core inductor crossover than the iron core crossover used in the lesser M-series speakers.

The MC-1 mids couldn't help but create a variance from the seamless integration the stock 5" speaker creates.

These speakers are so well-engineered that I would be reluctant to try anything different!

If you did have to crib from another AR speaker, the polypropylene 5"s in the ported enclosure center channel speakers like the PSC25 would be a more compatible choice.

Archived