AR vs Advent in the late 80s

owlsplace

Just curious if anyone is up on this history.

The Advent 2-way from June '88 that I picked up at GW yesterday for a song has peaked my curiosity. It has the aperiodic woofer design of the AR-4, the size of the AR-6 and the looks of the TSW series.

It has two npe's and a coil in the crossover and a single FG batt on the back panel for acoustic damping. No model number on the cabinet so I'm guessing it was Advent's only 2-way offering -- at least in this size cabinet.

Roger

Like these? Nothing else I can find from that era looks like the TSW boxes.

"Notes: These are nothing special but are somewhat of a rarity. I believe the 1002 is nothing more than a re-badged original Advent Baby. It definitely has the Jensen styling so it must have been made after the takeover sometime in the mid 90s. That and the two models are identical apart from the badge placement!"

From an audiokarma page, which I'll link when they come back up Monday.

post-102671-0-79926700-1443849274_thumb.

6.5", 8", or 10" woofer? I have some advent graduates I picked up for $3, that look like this...8" woofer, 1/2" mylar dome tweet with a rectangular face plate....I used the boxes and filled them with the drivers from my AR rock partners and set up a stereo rig for my 5 year old son.....

I guess I should snap a few photos: the badge is on the oak facing trim on the bottom front. The bottom is vinyl-clad -- tweeter is rectangular soft dome 7.4 ohm dcr and woofer is 8" 5.6 ohm dcr.

update:

Looks like Advent filed bankruptcy in 1981. Not sure when Henry Kloss left Advent but he founded Cambridge Soundworks in 1988.

It looks like AR and Cambridge Soundworks are still in business but have been reduced to selling Bluetooth speakers online.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I refoamed the Advents with some foams I had on hand today which were not exactly the same as the originals. Crossovers are 5 and 13mfd npe caps, two iron core coils and one 2 ohm resistor. I didn't recap.

Bass is on a par with the AR-4 and upper range is more forward and a touch brighter then the 4's and 6's. Maybe a bit more articulate as well. They are not bad but I prefer the more mellow sound and deeper sound stage of the Classic AR's. Actually, I'm listening to pan flute and orchestra from and adjacent room at the moment and they sound quite nice but if I was in the same room I can imagine listener fatigue setting in shortly. Not sure how a younger person would compare them. At my age I doubt I hear much of anything above 10khz anyway.

Placement wasn't optimal by any means. Hmmm, maybe I'll keep them for awhile and set up an Advent room. They are definitely worth the $11 plus foams :)

Roger

Archived