Re-edging a pair of Masonite Advent I woofers

FKPHW

Hi, my name is Bill, but I go by FKPHW. (It's from the movie M*A*S*H, and stands for Finest Kind Pediatrics Hospital and Whorehouse). I have two pairs of Advent speakers that I have acquired over the past few years. I found a pair of model 3's at a yard sale for $3.00 that has re-edged, re-coned, or replaced woofers. Truthfully they look like the previous owner re-edged a replacement speaker. It's marked W1610(B?) and 610 on a round magnet, and I can't find a date. The tweeter is marked something, 1976. The Advent I's, S/N U-247357 and 414, July 29, 1976, I wasn't as fortunate with. I found them at a church rummage sale for $5.00 apiece, but there is no edging left on the woofers. I believe they came out of the church, itself. I really don't know who to trust on ebay, as far as re-edging material goes, and I want to make sure I have the right size for the Masonite ring. I've never done this before, and can't afford to do it twice, so I am open to all suggestions. A friend said that he does it without using shims. He uses a power supply to energize the voice coil instead. Is this a good idea? Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I want to thank everyone in advance for their help. The Advent I's will hopefully replace my Klipsch Tangent 40's. I love them, but could really use the money for other things. Thanks again to all who help.

Hi Bill,

Welcome.

Actually, the model of your speakers is "The Advent Loudspeaker" (vinyl clad utility version) and they are the original ones having the masonite rings on the woofers. The Advent/1s are a later model.

Regardless, the surrounds to look for on eBay are the ones where the auction title has the phrase, "Best Speaker...etc." These are sold by Rick Cobb and are the correct fit, compliance (floppiness), and roll size. His eBay handle is "looneytune2001".

There is also a seller with the eBay handle "Geoaliwil" who is also supposed to have the correct ones although I have never tried them.

Just look for ones that say they are for Advent masonite ring woofers or even the all metal woofer surrounds will work too.

I never use shims, a battery, power supply, or tones when I refoam. I just manually move the cone up and down as the glue sets, pushing on different areas of the cone around the edge. When you can push anywhere on the cone and there is no rubbing, the VC is centered and parallel to the pole piece.

Of course, you may do it anyway with which you are comfortable.

Good luck.

Doug

Hi Bill,

Welcome.

Actually, the model of your speakers is "The Advent Loudspeaker" (vinyl clad utility version) and they are the original ones having the masonite rings on the woofers. The Advent/1s are a later model.

Regardless, the surrounds to look for on eBay are the ones where the auction title has the phrase, "Best Speaker...etc." These are sold by Rick Cobb and are the correct fit, compliance (floppiness), and roll size. His eBay handle is "looneytune2001".

There is also a seller with the eBay handle "Geoaliwil" who is also supposed to have the correct ones although I have never tried them.

Just look for ones that say they are for Advent masonite ring woofers or even the all metal woofer surrounds will work too.

I never use shims, a battery, power supply, or tones when I refoam. I just manually move the cone up and down as the glue sets, pushing on different areas of the cone around the edge. When you can push anywhere on the cone and there is no rubbing, the VC is centered and parallel to the pole piece.

Of course, you may do it anyway with which you are comfortable.

Good luck.

Doug

Thank you very much Doug. I've seen those on Ebay, but I've been burned a couple of times and have become wary, especially since the economy has gone down the toilet. You've made me feel a bit more comfortable and more confident.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tooo have had great luck with Rick Cobb, "looneytune2001," makes a very nice diffence having the correct foams vs the incorrect foams. I had the incorrect foams prior to October, and used the foams provided by "loonytune2001" and have been greatly pleased with the difference it has made.

Tyson

Hi, my name is Bill, but I go by FKPHW. (It's from the movie M*A*S*H, and stands for Finest Kind Pediatrics Hospital and Whorehouse). I have two pairs of Advent speakers that I have acquired over the past few years. I found a pair of model 3's at a yard sale for $3.00 that has re-edged, re-coned, or replaced woofers. Truthfully they look like the previous owner re-edged a replacement speaker. It's marked W1610(B?) and 610 on a round magnet, and I can't find a date. The tweeter is marked something, 1976. The Advent I's, S/N U-247357 and 414, July 29, 1976, I wasn't as fortunate with. I found them at a church rummage sale for $5.00 apiece, but there is no edging left on the woofers. I believe they came out of the church, itself. I really don't know who to trust on ebay, as far as re-edging material goes, and I want to make sure I have the right size for the Masonite ring. I've never done this before, and can't afford to do it twice, so I am open to all suggestions. A friend said that he does it without using shims. He uses a power supply to energize the voice coil instead. Is this a good idea? Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I want to thank everyone in advance for their help. The Advent I's will hopefully replace my Klipsch Tangent 40's. I love them, but could really use the money for other things. Thanks again to all who help.

I have used the non-clothspin(the one that Doug G. Descirbes), and clothspin versions(the way ligs suggested), but never have removed the dustcap. While the non-clothspin version is easier, I trust the clothspin version more just because there is a slight chance that in between the glue drying and the placement of the surrounds, the VC will become unaligned without the clothspins keeping it centered.

Just a warning for the above instructions, the foam placement(either on top or on bottom of the cone's edge, and roll direction) varies by speaker.

I have used the non-clothspin(the one that Doug G. Descirbes), and clothspin versions(the way ligs suggested), but never have removed the dustcap. While the non-clothspin version is easier, I trust the clothspin version more just because there is a slight chance that in between the glue drying and the placement of the surrounds, the VC will become unaligned without the clothspins keeping it centered.

Just a warning for the above instructions, the foam placement(either on top or on bottom of the cone's edge, and roll direction) varies by speaker.

One more tip, start fixing the first cloth pin nearest the VC tinsel leads and the second opposite to the first one. This works well with the little Bose fullranges and many others I tried including Genesis, AR, Boston Acoustics, United Speakers Systems(MCS and Phase Tech) and Advent.

Archived