Attitudes and approaches

Howard Ferstler

Two points.

First, it is interesting that Allison's article on imaging and directivity that I posted on the "Library Additions and Corrections" page has managed to get a total of 80 hits, while the Kitchen thread that "debated" the issue managed to get over 2500. How in blazes does anybody debate (or read debates even if they are not posting any comments of their own) about what Allison said about dispersion and NOT go and read Roy's paper? OK, OK, I know that some here went into and out of the kitchen debate numerous times and probably only accessed Roy's paper once, but did each of those 80 article readers then go into the kitchen debate over 30 times?

Second, yes, the Kitchen "debate" series was finally shut down by the webmaster, no doubt because things were getting pretty heated. (I am glad to note that the final bunch of caustic messages in that lengthy thread were at least not posted by me and that most of my postings were lengthy, fairly decent, informative, and not obnoxious defenses of my postions.) However, in addition to getting heated they were also, at times, getting pretty interesting (and informative), and shutting the whole thread down in order to calm certain people down (possibly the webmaster needed more calming than anybody else) smacks of an almost theological concept of protection. Hey, if things get REALLY bad, send a warning to the participants, and if they continue to be REALLY bad, then shut the thread down. However, I do not think that particular thread was headed towards perdition at the time it was terminated, and the fact that it scored over 2500 visits shows that it was a manifestly popular session.

Howard Ferstler

... (low in level, because as with most of the things I own it is a very good refrigerator) ...

While I concede that Howard may well have a quieter refrigerator than me, (his everything inherently "just the BEST," and all else, implicitly, dreck,) my posts were clearly more informative; his being merely overly verbose multitudinous recitations of outmoded mantra.... :blink:

Here's my allotted once-per-year link for 2010:

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/101/

Hey, if things get REALLY bad, send a warning to the participants, and if they continue to be REALLY bad, then shut the thread down. However, I do not think that particular thread was headed towards perdition at the time it was terminated, and the fact that it scored over 2500 visits shows that it was a manifestly popular session.

Howard Ferstler

Next time things get too heated the moderator should call a time out... and a contest. Everbody gets one page to best illuminate their philosophy. The readers take a poll on the position they most believe, and the loser sits out for a month.

Whos in?

David

Next time things get too heated the moderator should call a time out... and a contest. Everbody gets one page to best illuminate their philosophy. The readers take a poll on the position they most believe, and the loser sits out for a month.

Closing a thread is a time out. And a warning. If everybody takes the hint and cools down the discussion, anybody can open a second thread on the same subject.

Most everybody in these discussions already gets well over "one page" to say their piece long before these threads get closed.

Science and technology are not democratic. Our views are neither validated nor invalidated by the number of readers who agree or disagree with us.

I will, however, be happy to discuss with Mark the feasibility of requiring one or all participants in a flamewar to "sit out for a month..."

Admin mischaracterizes what occurs in The Kitchen as "flamewars" -- our dueling insults are skillfully crafted in the finest tradition of heated debate here; it's a major element in the popularity (and success) of this forum.

Without "spice," the subject matter would be as dull, as, uhmm, well, the SUBJECT matter.

[i'm here for the humiliation, obviously.... :blink: ]

An Opinion:

Classicspeakerpages.net is not an appropriate place for anyone to write about themselves, or others. Period, end of story, no exceptions. Not even one sentence; not in response, not in defense, not in justification.

The above post, and others like it, should be summarily deleted.

There are plenty of free blogs available to write about oneself, and a link can be placed in the sig line of messages here for anyone interested in learning about an individual.

Everyone, in the future, please examine your post before hitting the, "Add Reply" button. If your message contains the words "I," "You," "my," "your," or any proper name or handle of a forum member... don't post it. If your message is more than a paragraph or two of material... don't post it.

-k

Admin mischaracterizes what occurs in The Kitchen as "flamewars" -- our dueling insults are skillfully crafted in the finest tradition of heated debate here; it's a major element in the popularity (and success) of this forum.

Without "spice," the subject matter would be as dull, as, uhmm, well, the SUBJECT matter.

[i'm here for the humiliation, obviously.... :blink: ]

Debates are fine and, perhaps, one of the things that might attract some people here. The problem lies with the 3 or 4 immature posters that insist on injecting ad hominem digs constantly. There is >no place< here for insults, clever or not.

And, frankly, I have seen almost nothing particularly clever in this regard around here. The wit is stale, predictable and lacking in nuance. If I want to laugh out loud, I go read The Onion.

-k

And, frankly, I have seen almost nothing particularly clever in this regard around here. The wit is stale, predictable and lacking in nuance. If I want to laugh out loud, I go read The Onion.

O.K., I WON'T do a retrospective then.... :blink:

First, we all owe Gene a big thanks for helping to keep the forums from blowing up. In addition to his work trying to end personal attacks (particularly in this forum), he's spent a lot of time manually validating new members to keep spammers away. It's been years since I was able to spend much time on this website (other than technical issues) and I'm here even less since last June now that I'm running my first business.

So straight from the horse's mouth... I never intended to make The Classic Speaker Pages entertaining. It was (and hopefully still is) an oasis of technical information and support regarding classic speakers (and electronics to some extent) from New England area audio companies. I wanted to give back to the community after I repaired my first pair of ARs in college with my Dad, when very little technical information was available on the web and most of our help came in the way of phone calls and emails with vendors.

I created The Kitchen as a pressure valve of sorts, so we could keep the other forums both technical and civil but give some of our members latitude in terms of the philosophical stuff.

This is getting too long-winded for me... ultimately, I'm sure everyone here is better off with Gene as a moderator, so please cut him some slack. I would delete and ban wildly if I was still in that seat!

Mark

Archived