Advent Prodigy II Speakers

Jess

I will try this again as it seems my first post did not upload. Hmmm.

Anyway, I could not pass up on a pair of Prodigy II speakers from GW. The woofer surrounds are shot and I would like to re-foam them myself as well as refinish the cabs and replace the grill cloth. Are there any good sources for re-foam kits for these speakers. I believe the woofers are 8" (have not measured them yet). Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jess

• 2 months later...
Guest BJ BISIG
I will try this again as it seems my first post did not upload. Hmmm.

Anyway, I could not pass up on a pair of Prodigy II speakers from GW. The woofer surrounds are shot and I would like to re-foam them myself as well as refinish the cabs and replace the grill cloth. Are there any good sources for re-foam kits for these speakers. I believe the woofers are 8" (have not measured them yet). Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jess

Jess

I know how it is to post a question and feel like no one is out there. I refoamed a set of 8" woofers for my prodigy's this weekend (first time i've done it). Go on EBAY, look under ADVENT refoam. Find the good people at geoaliwil, they have the correct foam for your speakers. For $3.00 more get the cloth screen dust caps (2 3/4" dia).

Take your time and follow the instuctions and you can't go wrong! When you put the new dust caps on, find a drinking glass the same dia as the dust cap and use that to hold the cap down after glueing.

Also get some cheap spring clamps to do the outside of the speaker where the cardboard gasket is.

BJ

Are there any good sources for re-foam kits for these speakers.

Jess

Hi Jess

I highly recommend MSound:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

I have found John to be extremely helpful, his kits are VERY complete, and he is responsive to your needs (want a different dust cap? He has it). His incomplete website does give very good step-by-step instructions. I have used his kits for Allisons, ARs, even 4" AR Partners. His order form asks a lot of questions and asks for a lot of measurements so you get the right thing. He will answer any questions by email promptly.

All surround kit sellers get their foam surrounds from the same source. It's the care, completeness of the kit, and quality of the support that makes a difference. I got screwed once by a well-known seller who did not include dust caps or shims. Their attitude: If we don't have it, you don't need it." Caveat emptor :)

Kent

I see you opted to get the non-original type of surround. If you totally happy with them, that's great.

Enjoy!

However, if you decide to seel them to someone knowledgeable about the Prodigy II's there may be a problem.

Hey Carl,

What is the difference between what I used from the original type. I don't recall noticing any difference between the old and new. The old ones were in pretty bad shape. I have never sold any of my acquired gear but I would be interested to know the difference. Thanks.

Jess

Hey Carl,

What is the difference between what I used from the original type. I don't recall noticing any difference between the old and new. The old ones were in pretty bad shape. I have never sold any of my acquired gear but I would be interested to know the difference. Thanks.

Jess

Hi Jess.

The difference is described in the attachment included in my post #3 above. Hopefully you can open an Acrobat Reader document.

Hey Carl,

Jess

Ah, I just took a look at your link. It's the inner crease that distinguishes it from the originals. And for future reference where might I get the originals and are all Advent surrounds of this design? I have a pair of Baby's that need refoaming as well, however I am not 100% sure if they are the original Baby's or the 1002's which look identical. Are there any clues to look for any identifying what I have?

Thanks.

Jess

I think there are a few sellers on the web who sell the type of surrounds I support. At one time I offered them for sale here at CSP only, but can't recall the price. At this point, I'd sell a pair for $15 plus shipping. I'd supply just the surrounds since I'm not a surround seller by trade. I'm an installer. So, there would be NO shims, glue or new DC. If you want all the extra stuff, find the web sellers of refoam kits.

Ah, I just took a look at your link. It's the inner crease that distinguishes it from the originals. And for future reference where might I get the originals and are all Advent surrounds of this design? I have a pair of Baby's that need refoaming as well, however I am not 100% sure if they are the original Baby's or the 1002's which look identical. Are there any clues to look for any identifying what I have?

Thanks.

Jess

Apparently it is called a "filled fillet" style (?). Check out this thread:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4158

good luck

Kent

• 3 years later...

Congrats.

You might want to try Pete's "BSC." He has a loaner you can try out and if you think it helps, construction is very simple. I built one yesterday after trying the loaner. It could make the Advents sound smoother.

http://www.classicsp...er&fromsearch=1

Kent

Sorry to revive a 4 year old thread but I just got a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower and surrounds were starting to fall apart.

I re-foamed them with surrounds that have inner crease and they work fine.

Found this thread while searching more information and I compared before and after pictures, the original surrounds do have inner crease.

Pictures of original surrounds before and after refoam are attached.

Is the difference because it's Tower vs just Prodigy?

post-119960-0-12007400-1334952524_thumb.

post-119960-0-66394600-1334952533_thumb.

Archived