removing dust from exposed woofers of Allison speakers (4,5,6)

joany

Hi,

I'm restoring two pairs of Allison (5 and 6) : the dust on the sticky cones of the woofers is incredible (!), but they work not so bad, needing refoaming...my question is : have you any experience with dust removing , with a secure process?

thanks a lot if you can help for this recurrent problem ,

Regards.

Hi,

I'm restoring two pairs of Allison (5 and 6) : the dust on the sticky cones of the woofers is incredible (!), but they work not so bad, needing refoaming...my question is : have you any experience with dust removing , with a secure process?

thanks a lot if you can help for this recurrent problem ,

Regards.

I'd clean it with a soft camel hair brush. Apply it gently and do not push the cone in or you may damage the voice coil. Support the cone from the back with your other hand if you have to. The dust will not have any functional effect impairing the woofer. Don't use anyting damp, no oils, no cleaners, no chemicals of any kind. And whatever you do, don't vacuum it. Don't blow any air from a compressor or canned air at it either. You can try a feather duster or one with a chemical dust attractor in it like dust magnet. Better a dusty woofer that works properly than a clean one that doesn't.

Yep. The butyl rubber goo that was applied at the factory acts like a sealant, particularly for the foam surrounds. It also imparts a bit of damping to control edge termination. Dust on the stuff will not impact the performance, although as soundminded noted, brushing some of it gently way will help the aesthetics. Since the woofers on so many Allison models are installed facing up, they can pick up more cone dust than most.

Note that older model Allison woofers, like a lot of other brands, might be due for a foam-surround change. Typically, the surrounds will not last more than 10-15 years, depending on environmental issues.

Outfits like Simply Speakers offer replacement kits that are not tricky to work with, although with the butyl goo it can be kind of, well, "gooey" work to remove the old surround from the cone and frame surfaces before installing the new surrounds. Some outfits will do the work for you if you ship the drivers off.

Howard Ferstler

Thanks all for your fast and wonderful reply...i'll, now, concentrate on my first refoaming!

Regards ,

:-)

Archived