Have you ever heard of Essex Group by United Technologies

Hi guys,

I found a pair of Essex Speakers. I really don't know this brand. I don't want to buy them since I don't want to spend money in another "crappy" speaker.

So I need you help, do you know " Essex Group by United Technologies "

Here are some pictures :

M_010_11007433_1.34.jpgM_010_11007433_2.29.jpg

I know Essex group is (was ?) specialized in wires. But that's all.

Thank you for your help.

Hi guys,

I found a pair of Essex Speakers. I really don't know this brand. I don't want to buy them since I don't want to spend money in another "crappy" speaker.

So I need you help, do you know " Essex Group by United Technologies "

Here are some pictures :

M_010_11007433_1.34.jpgM_010_11007433_2.29.jpg

I know Essex group is (was ?) specialized in wires. But that's all.

Thank you for your help.

My very first job in the industry in 1977.

Essex was founded as Cletron (Cleveland Electronics) early after WWII. They made a lot of replacement speakers for Magnavox and other radio makers in the early days. Later the built for Bose, KLH, Advent, Hammond Organ, Ford and Chrysler. They had factories in Cleveland, Martinsville Indiana, and South Carolina. Essex wire owned them briefly which made them a "United Technologies" company. Harman bought them around 1980 and they became Harman Motive primarily producing in the Martinsville plant. They made a lot of money for Harman for a number of years, primarily in the upgrade car OEM systems under the JBL or Infinity brand.

I think they closed the factory a year or so ago. Don Keele worked there until recently. In the early 80s, John King was the first to use Ferrofluid in the speaker industry, at Cletron.

Their home products were pretty lackluster.

David

Archived