AR3a just refinished !

Guest evibeman

• 3 weeks later...

Really great restoration job! I am going to do the same to a set of Dynaco A25XL's and would like to know where you purchased the grille cloth that you used.

TIA,

Jim

Just refinished these and cleaned pots, new cloth, new woofer surrounds, new 6mfd caps. They sound gpost-102906-1199759186.jpgreat! your thoughts?

Heres one side of a pair of restores - AR3as and AR 2axs. Replaced all caps and LPads. Found a 4 ohm dome tweeter for the 3as. Love the sound of both sets.

glen

post-101854-1202077609.jpg

Heres one side of a pair of restores - AR3as and AR 2axs. Replaced all caps and LPads. Found a 4 ohm dome tweeter for the 3as. Love the sound of both sets.

glen

Hi there;

Nice systems.

What type tweeter is in the lower left speaker?

It is a dark photo but there appears to be a lot of shiny mounting screws holding it on.

What type tweeter is in the lower left speaker?

It is a dark photo but there appears to be a lot of shiny mounting screws holding it on.

Vern,

That is a Hi Vi Research 1" dome tweeter, model X1R, which is currently on sale on the Madisound website for $7.27. I have also experimented with it in the 3a with very acceptable results. It is definitely not a "drop-in replacement", and requires a parallel coil of about .06 mh, as well as a smaller cap, to sound reasonably similar to the original tweeter. A convenient feature is the large flange, which fits over the cabinet hole with no need for cabinet modifications.

The X1R, or one of its higher impedance Hi Vi siblings, may also represent decent low cost AR-2ax tweeter replacements. I plan on trying a pair of them for that purpose in the near future.

IMO, considering its low cost, it is a very viable alternative to the $80 AB Tech replacement tweeter.

Roy

post-101150-1202184005.jpg post-101150-1202184042.jpg

Vern,

That is a Hi Vi Research 1" dome tweeter, model X1R, which is currently on sale on the Madisound website for $7.27. I have also experimented with it in the 3a with very acceptable results. It is definitely not a "drop-in replacement", and requires a parallel coil of about .06 mh, as well as a smaller cap, to sound reasonably similar to the original tweeter. A convenient feature is the large flange, which fits over the cabinet hole with no need for cabinet modifications.

The X1R, or one of its higher impedance Hi Vi siblings, may also represent decent low cost AR-2ax tweeter replacements. I plan on trying a pair of them for that purpose in the near future.

IMO, considering its low cost, it is a very viable alternative to the $80 AB Tech replacement tweeter.

Roy

Hi Roy;

An interesting write-up from you as usual, thank you.

At such a price difference, there certainly is room for experimenting.

I am dead set against using anything other than original AR drivers, BUT and that is a big BUT, the 3/4" tweeters are getting rarer and rarer and becoming, "foam bound".

There is a point when a suitable non-AR original replacement driver will be ok, to most AR fans at least, myself included, as a compromise and hopefully, at least reasonably priced.

I paid about $70.00 each CDN in the mid '90's for my 8 - 3/4", current at that time, AB Tech replacement tweeters, with the foam front covers.

In preparation for replacement of other AR 4 ohms tweeters, down the road, I have bought some Seas 3 and 4 ohm 1 1/2" tweeters as spares.

I want to experiment with the Microstatic tweeter array format using these drivers.

Archived