AR-MST

djcheung

Hi Roger,

It is a bit awkard trying to hang them vertically due to their shape.

Very difficult to secure without proper brackets.

Here are some pics of the stuffing, the replaced caps ( couldn't wait until the weekend) and the cabinet tops.

Also the grille 'cloth'. I am trying to show how dense the material is.

David.

post-125249-0-25505700-1437031028_thumb.

post-125249-0-78514200-1437031030_thumb.

post-125249-0-00500000-1437031033_thumb.

post-125249-0-17997600-1437031035_thumb.

post-125249-0-48310400-1437031037_thumb.

post-125249-0-80378800-1437031039_thumb.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but cannot help much with the badge issue - - - my poor salvaged cabinet did not come equipped with many components at all, as documented in this post.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=8173&hl=

Even though your rare pair might be considered to be closer to the revised MST-1, the badges that identified this later version, IMO, are unattractive with the chunky black block lettering. Far more appealing to me are the earlier MST badges, with the stylized AR font and inset red letters - - - these look almost identical to the badges from the LST speaker. On my single orphan MST, I may simply use a small square badge, but again, I prefer the more substantial red badge over the black version.

post-112624-0-16014800-1437066999_thumb.

After a few days of listening, the tweeters have come back to life ( after the caps change. They went dull immediately after the change.)

Put more of the damping material in and the bass response improved.

I will listen to them at their current location before moving them closer to a back wall - can't find any yet !

They are sitting on top of another pair of speaker and about 3 feet away the back wall.

David.

post-125249-0-35484400-1437389302_thumb.

As shown in the pic of post #47, my MST grille cloth is fastened to the frame with staples only at the outer four corners, and then the velcro strips are also attached with thin staples. The remainder of the perimeter is attached using some type of adhesive applied to the backside of the hardboard frame. Stretching the fabric is probably somewhat similar to other AR grilles, but it is complicated by the fact that this is a three-panel hinged frame. I hope you are giving consideration to using a fabric with a more open weave - - how about original linen?

One additional observation - - - it looks like your woofer gasket may have had all of its "squish" permanently compressed, and in order to maintain a good woofer seal you may want to use fresh gasket material.

Hi ra.ra

Thanks for the pointer.

I have some grille cloth that I purchased from Vintage-AR for my AR3a but they look quite yellow in colour and decided not to use on them.

I may use that on the MST and see.

The woofer gaskets are fresh install that I put in last week or so.

They do look compressed but they do make an airtight seal.

David.

• 4 months later...

Just replaced the cloth. Any tips on how to reduce that crease?

Now need to locate or reproduce the badges.

Use a clean spray bottle and spritz it with water. Get all of the fabric wet. Blot dry then dry it with a hair dryer. The cloth will shrink (assuming it's natural linen) and you'll have a nice taut grille cloth.

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

looking good David.

All the photos I see of these and the lst, the grille fabric is an off white or tan. I have been waiting for an opportunity to try and copy that color by dyeing a white material such as yours by soaking it in tea for a while. Maybe if you have extra pieces of that cloth, you could experiment a little with it. Of course I do not know if it would come out of a soaking very well. Of course do not do this to your finished grilles! :wacko:

Ah, makes sense.

I have the mellotone material here about to go on new frames for my 3's that I got from the esteemed good Dr JKent. It only comes in white. I tried to soak some pieces in tea to no avail. Hard to dye plastic I guess. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Archived