Replacement for EPI 200b driver?

Guest robobxman

Guest robobxman

I have a pair of mint EPI 200b's. I recently refoamed the 8" drivers and passive radiators, and absolutely loved them until last weekend when I managed to damage both drivers irretrievably by playing them a little too loud for too long.

I read on Layne Audio's website that EPI drivers were of average quality and durability. I also know that the drivers were carefully selected as part of the overall EPI design ... ie to naturally roll-off into the air-spring tweeter.

Now I am weighing my options and would very much appreciate any insights by forum members:

a. Is the design so unique that I cannot find a new replacement long-throw driver that is equal to or better than the original? Other than basic information about the overall speaker (8 ohm, Response: 34 to 20,000 Hz, RMS Power: 15 to 125 watts, Crossover: 1800 Hz), I don't know the exact specs upon which to base a replacement.

b. If the design is so unique, should I buy a replacement through Humanspeakers.com? These are not identical to the originals (round v square woofers), but I believe the owner of Humanspeakers used to work for EPI and I suppose he knows how to build a replacement if anyone does.

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Rob

>I have a pair of mint EPI 200b's. I recently refoamed the 8"

>drivers and passive radiators, and absolutely loved them until

>last weekend when I managed to damage both drivers

>irretrievably by playing them a little too loud for too long.

>

>

>I read on Layne Audio's website that EPI drivers were of

>average quality and durability. I also know that the drivers

>were carefully selected as part of the overall EPI design ...

>ie to naturally roll-off into the air-spring tweeter.

>

>Now I am weighing my options and would very much appreciate

>any insights by forum members:

>

>a. Is the design so unique that I cannot find a new

>replacement long-throw driver that is equal to or better than

>the original? Other than basic information about the overall

>speaker (8 ohm, Response: 34 to 20,000 Hz, RMS Power: 15 to

>125 watts, Crossover: 1800 Hz), I don't know the exact specs

>upon which to base a replacement.

>

>b. If the design is so unique, should I buy a replacement

>through Humanspeakers.com? These are not identical to the

>originals (round v square woofers), but I believe the owner of

>Humanspeakers used to work for EPI and I suppose he knows how

>to build a replacement if anyone does.

>

>Thank you in advance for your help.

>

>- Rob

>

>

Hi Rob;

I wrote a small topic of EPI Towers (maybe model 1000?) and a local band who settled on these after blowing out all of several sets of AR-LST's tweeters.

The LST's have a tremendous power handling capablities.

Based on smaller EPI or other brand speakers there is less power capability.

Fusing has been mentioned as a preventative safety net of some value.

I would suggest a hunt on ebay for OEM drivers if that is what you need.

If you only blew out the surrounds, perhaps if salvageable, re-foaming may be an option.

Good luck and please keep us posted of your decisions and progress, if you would please

Guest robobxman

Thanks Vern. I wasn't sure from your post if you were recommending LST drivers as a replacement 8" driver.

As to fusing, yes, a great idea. I don't make a habit of ruining my gear ... in this case, though, the driver voice coils are shot. I will be scanning eBay for OEM drivers, but was hoping someone knew the specs of these drivers so that I could entertain the idea of buying new drivers, esp if new drivers would outperform the old ones and still mesh nicely with the airspring tweeter.

Btw, the 200b has a 8" driver, airspring tweeter, and 12" passive radiator.

Thank you. - Rob

>Thanks Vern. I wasn't sure from your post if you were

>recommending LST drivers as a replacement 8" driver.

>

>As to fusing, yes, a great idea. I don't make a habit of

>ruining my gear ... in this case, though, the driver voice

>coils are shot. I will be scanning eBay for OEM drivers, but

>was hoping someone knew the specs of these drivers so that I

>could entertain the idea of buying new drivers, esp if new

>drivers would outperform the old ones and still mesh nicely

>with the airspring tweeter.

>

>Btw, the 200b has a 8" driver, airspring tweeter, and 12"

>passive radiator.

>

>Thank you. - Rob

Hi Rob;

I am not familiar enough of your model, to give the best advice.

Hang in there, as help does arrive soon.

My comparison was only regarding the power handling comparison.

The AR-LST's can probably, disregarding the fuse, handle 1,000 - 1,500 watt clean peaks.

The EPI Towers could not be blown, unfused, with whatever equipment was being used for the AR-LST's.

I have forgotten lots over the years, but I believe the Towers had 4 8" woofers and 4 air spring tweeters.

I do remember hearing at least one store demo, and we used to listen real loud.

They sounded big and clear.

I can't give a direct A -B comparison of their sound quality compared with the AR-LST's.

The AR-LST's were about one of the very best speaker systems in North America at that time, with the right equipment.

I have EPI 100's and picked up, I believe, a pair of 110's or 120's for my brother-in-law.

The EPI 100's are comparable, but not exactly the same sound as, AR-4x, Dynaco A-25, Dynaco A-35, Allison ?, ADC 303, KLH Six and The Larger Advent speaker systems.

If you were to replace the EPI 100 tweeter, capacitor and woofer with whatever new replacements drivers are available today they would not be EPI 100's but an enclosure with new drivers only.

If the Epicure Company just started up today, and their first speaker was with this enclosure, with all these newly manufactured parts, then they would be compared to all existing newly manufactured speakers, and they would have their new position placed on the market.

Remember, that when the original EPI 100's were around at $100.00 each and heavily discounted, so was the competition.

Today, in that same enclosure, with the new drivers we would probably be looking at $200 - 300.00 each.

These would sound differently than the original 100's but may or may not have the same followers.

Imagine if NHT Super Zero speakers, when they first came out, sold for $49.99 each, yeh.

If this was true then hifi in the last ten years would be quite different than it is.

The only time I saw NHT Super Zeros here in Vancouver, was about 5 or more years ago, and they were around $350 or $450.00 CDN per pair.

Around 1975 you could buy AR-4x's at about $72.00 CDN each here and Dynaco A-25's at $52.00 CDN each heavily discounted.

You will receive different ideas as readers jump in with their best advice, but do make every attempt to ascertain the condition of your present drivers, before all else.

Ebay is one possible source for used drivers.

Good luck again.

Guest robobxman

Yep, that's my plan. This whole episode taught me that speakers are unique little buggers and swapping for something "close" may result in far inferior sound. So humanspeakers it is. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

• 2 years later...
Guest fourwheels0

ok i know this thread is 3 yrs old BUT i am hopefully getting THE epi 200b's rob used to have lol. they still do not have new 8in woofers in them lol. so hopefully these WILL be brought back to life in the near future. i'll let everyone know how they sound AND look when i get them done. lets keep our fingers crossed.

Archived