Speakerstands: What is preferred?

VintageMan

I know that there are some original stands for the early AR speakers, I have 2 sets myself.

To be honest; I find them to small, instable/fragile and I would love to have my AR3 or AR5 on higher ones.

I know someone who likes to work with wood and he offered to make me some custom stands so the AR3a's or AR5 are more on ear-level.

The problem is that I have no clue what he should build so it does not look bulky.

What stands do you guys use or think are preferred with these AR's?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I googled "speaker stands" then clicked "images" and chose the "wood" tab. Lots of nice stands!

https://www.google.com/search?q=speaker+stands&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2oY3VcqjPMejgwSN2YHIDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1760&bih=932#tbm=isch&q=wood+speaker+stands&revid=547262441

I'd say select some that are appealing to you and ask your friend if he can make them.

Some people like them lower, but tilted back, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Theater-Speaker-Stands-Custom-Hand-Made-SOLID-OAK-Bose-JVC-Sony-Pioneer-JBL-/221220947210

I'd say go with whatever looks good to you and is within your friend's skill level. The possibilities are many.

Good luck and be sure to share photos when finished.

Kent

We just had a pair of custom 4-post steel stands made for our AR-91 project by this Arkansas company:

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/home#!

Construction was of 11 gauge, 1.25" wide steel tubing; they were then powdercoated, sand-filled, and fitted with floor spikes at the corners.

Pricing was very reasonable, the stands were packed extremely well for shipping, and the quality of workmanship is absolutely first-rate.

Their homepage shows a number of different configurations, including one that looks very much like the original factory stands for the AR-11 (see attached), but they will do custom-sizing as well.

Highly recommended!

post-100370-0-81047400-1429732137_thumb.

post-100370-0-60995900-1429732147_thumb.

• 2 months later...

As we are using the AR3a's in our living room, because we love them(!), on metal stands my wife and I decided that we want them on "original" stands.

The problem is that the original stands are about 30cm high and the current metal ones are 60cm.

I contacted my friend and discussed this with him making clear that we do not want any bulky stands.

Looking at the original stands he opted that he could make 60cm high ones with a small brace about 10cm from the floor for additional strength and stability.

He promised me that they will look identical but with only the small brace connecting the four legs.

If Walnut is not an option we will make them from Oak as the marking looks a lot like Walnut.

I'll keep you posted :)

If you're interested in some really authentic "original," here's what AR used for their "Live vs AR" demos:

I have a original folder with the same images!

Never noticed these stands tough :rolleyes:

My guess is that they will cost quite a bit these days', plus you need the space to set them up.

• 2 weeks later...

The stands based on the Original stands are ready.

I'm picking them up this Saturday.

They are made of solid Walnut, the legs and crossbars are extended in size with about 1.5cm because of the extra hight and the heavy weight of the AR3a's.

We also made a additional crossbar about 10cm above the floor as we discovered that 60cm long legs with no support just break when trying to move the stands with AR3's.

In addition we made sure that you can separate them, or fold them, like the original ones which makes them easy to store them.

Here is a first impression, I will post better pictures when I have them.

AR3-stands-selfmade-Walnut.jpg

I small question I have is to what I should use to get them in the right color?

I have a refinishing kit from Vintage-AR which contains an Oil Finisher, but I'm nut shure if this is enough to get the right color.

Your suggestions are welcome :)

if you have a spare piece, try just using some BLO on it to see how it turns the color. Tung oil similarly and you can even add a little stain to the oil on the outer coats if you want to richen it up.

Hard to say with newer walnut.

Since they are stands, a lacquer finish might be a bit more bulletproof.

The stands based on the Original stands are ready.

I'm picking them up this Saturday.

They are made of solid Walnut, the legs and crossbars are extended in size with about 1.5cm because of the extra hight and the heavy weight of the AR3a's.

We also made a additional crossbar about 10cm above the floor as we discovered that 60cm long legs with no support just break when trying to move the stands with AR3's.

In addition we made sure that you can separate them, or fold them, like the original ones which makes them easy to store them.

Here is a first impression, I will post better pictures when I have them.

AR3-stands-selfmade-Walnut.jpg

I small question I have is to what I should use to get them in the right color?

I have a refinishing kit from Vintage-AR which contains an Oil Finisher, but I'm nut shure if this is enough to get the right color.

Your suggestions are welcome :)

Very nice. Post the specs if possible. Any good oil finish will get you in the ballpark.

Roger

There here, and they look great!

The AR3a sound nicer at 60cm hight.

Now I need to get them into the right colour, just oil makes the dark.

I'm looking for some reddish finish

Yes, I see what you mean. Walnut comes in lots of different shades. Would be nice if you had some scrap to practice colors on ...

• 3 weeks later...

They are in the "right" colour now.

Funny is that depending on the angle or light-fall the AR3a change colour ^_^

The stands stay the same colour all the time.

My guess is that it is because the AR-3a cabinets are finished in a different way.

I love the result and will post additional pictures when the are in the living room the next time.

In "real" they colour-match really nice.

DSC02574a.jpg

DSC02573a.jpg

The one comment I would make on some of these designs is that they lack something to keep the speakers on the stands. When I built some stands modeled after the original AR stand, I extended the side pieces up about two inches so the speakers sit in between them. (Sorry no pics) Admittedly the chances of knocking over a heavy AR3 are small, but I like to be careful and from a carpentry point of view it is no problem to extend the sides. However, some of the designs posted here have me thinking about alternatives.

Archived