The first 3-way Advent, the 6003

Stormy2021

Hi, first post here after lurking for a couple years. I figured with all the indepth knowledge shown here, somone could advise me on this.

Has anybody heard the Advent 6003, the three way with the 5" grey "donut" midrange and semi-triangular cabinet that came out around 1984? (see attached scans of brochure photos)

I did a search and cannot find any mention of it. I heard it when it debuted but at the time I was still an audio newbie (18 years old) and while I do not rememeber anything BAD sounding about it, that is all I remember.

Knowing Advent is really known for their 2-way designs (something that still fascinates me i.e. getting large woofers to reproduce good midrange frequencies and tweeters that go "low"), I thought maybe a 3-way design somehow offended Advent's fans back then. At the time I was also surprised they built this and figured it had to do with Advent's owners (Jensen Inc.) wanting a model to compete with the more prestigious models from their competitors.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,

Stormy2021, (former) owner of the first gen Baby Advents, present owner of a pair of Smaller Advents & overall fan of the acoustic-suspension system.

post-102225-1167457894.jpg

post-5-1167457894.jpg

I do recall hearing this system in the mid-'80s - to my taste, it was a bit smoother through the midrange than the Large Advent, but very similar in frequency response at the extremes.

Designed as a floor-standing speaker, it seemed to have an edge against the Large Advent in a similar orientation, providing a larger overall presentation in a fair-sized room.

I wonder what a stacked pair would be like?

I don't know anything about these but I know there has been discussion about them at Audio Karma in the past. Just go to the "Speakers" forum and do a search for "6003".

I think you have to join first before you can search (I could be wrong about this) but it's a great place of which to be a member anyway.

They "look" like they'd sound good. :^)

Doug

oops - forgot to reply!

Thanks Doug for the advice. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for these at garage sales and resale shops but I bet many people think "man these are HUGE, no one wants these sort of speakers anymore so why bother trying to sell them". If possible I try to discretely ask neighbors or my friend's buddies if they have old speakers lying around.

• 1 year later...
Guest anothersonganothermile

I still own a pair of these speakers I bought in 1987. They are still fantastic for Jazz and Classical.......but I run them with a pair of bi-amped AR-2ax's to fill in the Bass they lack for rock and funk.

Hi, first post here after lurking for a couple years. I figured with all the indepth knowledge shown here, somone could advise me on this.

Has anybody heard the Advent 6003, the three way with the 5" grey "donut" midrange and semi-triangular cabinet that came out around 1984? (see attached scans of brochure photos)

I did a search and cannot find any mention of it. I heard it when it debuted but at the time I was still an audio newbie (18 years old) and while I do not rememeber anything BAD sounding about it, that is all I remember.

Knowing Advent is really known for their 2-way designs (something that still fascinates me i.e. getting large woofers to reproduce good midrange frequencies and tweeters that go "low"), I thought maybe a 3-way design somehow offended Advent's fans back then. At the time I was also surprised they built this and figured it had to do with Advent's owners (Jensen Inc.) wanting a model to compete with the more prestigious models from their competitors.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,

Stormy2021, (former) owner of the first gen Baby Advents, present owner of a pair of Smaller Advents & overall fan of the acoustic-suspension system.

Archived