Garage Sale Season

DavidDru

Is upon us again. Several communities here had their community garage sales yesterday. We participated and sold a bunch of stuff off (no, no speakers or cool gear) so I was not able to head out and see what I could find. I like to watch for speaker stands as well.

Let's all see what we can find this year and post it here. Maybe some of you have already had some success.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I scored one AR94S from my brother-in-law's garage for the price of getting it out of his garage. I will at least get one spare LMR for my 90s. Picture tomorrow.

Its tomorrow. I pulled the sock and both surrounds are shot. The mid-range driver surround has fallen totally apart and the woofer surround is detached from the basket. Someone (most likely my finger poking brother in-law) poked the tweeter dome in and it may be partly cracked at the base.

post-149980-0-95424500-1431874557_thumb.

post-149980-0-96426800-1431874567_thumb.

I may get inspired if you keep this up :)

It can be fun to hit a few places early on a Friday with coffee in hand. Never know what you find or who you meet. Always mention you look for old stereo gear. Yesterday I mentioned that to a couple and she pulled out an old 78 collection that included some big time names Les Paul, Louis Armstrong etc.

I scored one AR94S from my brother-in-law's garage for the price of getting it out of his garage. I will at least get one spare LMR for my 90s. Picture tomorrow.

Its tomorrow. I pulled the sock and both surrounds are shot. The woofer surround has fallen totally apart and the mid is detached from the basket. Someone (most likely my finger poking brother inlaw) poked the tweeter dome in and it may be partly cracked at the base.

Ahh, I bet you can suck that tweeter back out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled on a Garage Sale and got these (sorry, not AR). My first pair of Series II was back in college and they were late production run series 2. Bose had switched to using drivers destined for the Series 3 and the drivers had foam surrounds. Years after my warranty expired Bose offered me a pair of Series 6 for cost because the foam began to crack. I've been wanting to go back to the old CT, cloth surround drivers that were acoustic suspension ever since.

Been cleaning them up today. Need new grill cloth and a recap of the EQ.

post-149980-0-59537300-1432599780_thumb.

post-149980-0-45512500-1432599788_thumb.

post-149980-0-04779400-1432599796_thumb.

post-149980-0-06001200-1432599804_thumb.

Some monster cables today for $3, a Telarc Xmas cd for four bits and a Kenwood integrated amp at the thrift yesterday for $10 ... a lot of scavengers in Reno, fun looking though :)

No audio gear today, but we did find and get a Lane Acclaim Cocktail table for $45 at a garage sale.

Roger, garage sales and thrifts can be great places to pick up really good cables for cheap. I recently picked up one of those monster Cable Monster Power power strips for $1 at a garage sale. Always be on the look out for cables and speaker stands too.

These four were sitting on a local yard sale table, still in their original wrappings, but with no boxes.

It's the Linaeum dipole tweeter that Radio Shack offered as an add-on, back in the '90s, and the woman holding the sale was happy to get ten dollars for all four.

I immediately connected a set to the AR-91's, and took a listen.

The built-in crossover is at 2500Hz, which is too low for this use, but that's easily remedied.

As is, the output level seems really close to a perfect match for the AR-91, and I'm going to be interested to hear how they sound as supplemental dipole tweeters with a much higher crossover, as they spec out to 25 KHz.

Kind of like an updated Microstatic tweeter, and they're something else to play with! :)

post-100370-0-26703200-1433100460_thumb.

post-100370-0-52240300-1433100466_thumb.

post-100370-0-92299100-1433100470_thumb.

Great find! RatShack speakers with Liaeum tweeters fetch "relatively" high prices. Cool to play with and they look good with the "Black Beauties". Let us know what you think.

-Kent

Oh yeah, the guy I purchased the table from is a retired orchestra professor/teacher that moved here recently and he wants to buy a pair of speakers since he had sold his stuff off prior to the move.

These four were sitting on a local yard sale table, still in their original wrappings, but with no boxes.

It's the Linaeum dipole tweeter that Radio Shack offered as an add-on, back in the '90s, and the woman holding the sale was happy to get ten dollars for all four.

I immediately connected a set to the AR-91's, and took a listen.

The built-in crossover is at 2500Hz, which is too low for this use, but that's easily remedied.

As is, the output level seems really close to a perfect match for the AR-91, and I'm going to be interested to hear how they sound as supplemental dipole tweeters with a much higher crossover, as they spec out to 25 KHz.

Kind of like an updated Microstatic tweeter, and they're something else to play with! :)

You got the look ... certainly an eye. I'm not sure I would have noticed these :)

Nice find. Keep us posted on how that works out.

Added: An AK user added these to a pair of AR-2a's using a second order crossover with L-pad and was very pleased

Roger

Some monster cables today for $3, a Telarc Xmas cd for four bits and a Kenwood integrated amp at the thrift yesterday for $10 ... a lot of scavengers in Reno, fun looking though :)

Well, the Kenwood fired up without incident, added a pair of Realistic Minimus 7's off CL for $15 and it makes a nice garage system for under $50. Looks like the Kenwood has enough reserve to power AR-5's also... nice surprise.

Not a garage sale find but since I was in the neighborhood picking up a washing machine I stopped at the local Goodwill Bargain Bin. As I walked in I spotted a Denon D200 system piled up in a heap -- amp, tuner, cassette and cd player. I decided I needed to save it from being trashed any further so I left with it for $7. No remote and one control cable was missing but hey .... The cd player loads but doesn't cue up. Tuner and amp work and it will take me awhile to find a cassette to test that function :) 1992 retail was $1,500 according to one site. It is definitely a pleasing set to look at.

Nifty 'miniature' system, for sale now on ebay for $450!* You'll need to get the remote, though....

* or best offer

pic from eBay: attachicon.gifDenon D200.jpg (800x600).jpg

That's it -- 40Wrms so it should drive the smaller AR's easily. Was going to open up the cd player this morning but washing machines and swamp coolers took priority. CD has an digital coaxial out RCA jack but not sure it will connect with the system without the proprietary flat ribbon cable.

I'm sure the amp needs a recap.

Not a garage sale find but since I was in the neighborhood picking up a washing machine I stopped at the local Goodwill Bargain Bin. As I walked in I spotted a Denon D200 system piled up in a heap -- amp, tuner, cassette and cd player. I decided I needed to save it from being trashed any further so I left with it for $7. No remote and one control cable was missing but hey .... The cd player loads but doesn't cue up. Tuner and amp work and it will take me awhile to find a cassette to test that function :) 1992 retail was $1,500 according to one site. It is definitely a pleasing set to look at.

Did you forage around the area to see if the remote had gotten loose and run off? I have found such remotes at different locations in those places.

Did you forage around the area to see if the remote had gotten loose and run off? I have found such remotes at different locations in those places.

May have more time tomorrow... I think Reno is plagued by "remote Gremlins."

That's it -- 40Wrms so it should drive the smaller AR's easily. Was going to open up the cd player this morning but washing machines and swamp coolers took priority. CD has an optical out but not sure it will connect with the system without the proprietary flat cable.

I'm sure the amp needs a recap.

Well, I did open up the cd player. KSS-220A Sony laser buried under the main board. I was able to operate the unit with the board out of place so I could observe the transport. Hmmm, it's upside-down. Loads fine but doesn't read. Okay maybe a bad laser, wait, it loads upside-down right, Right! You have to load the cd's upside-down :) Now it works like a charm except for the missing proprietary "System Connector 2" ribbon cable.

I suppose if I can't find one I can hack the connector or get a converter for the digital coaxial out like this one from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

Having fun,

Roger

Archived