Fried egg damage

Jsinct

New member here refurbishing NLA U4's...

I have purchased a pair of used tweeters to replace mine but I'm curious to know if my damaged fried eggs can be saved.

Both are pushed in a bit, and the one has a small puncture from the grille (#2)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Joe

#1post-175340-0-54054400-1422804764_thumb.

#2post-175340-0-92850100-1422804733_thumb.

"Carlspeak" is supplying the crossover components and grille cloth, and the foam surrounds are coming from Simply Speakers.

Hi Jsinct and welcome to the CSP.

Did you ask Carl about repairing or replacing the tweeters?

You might also try RoyC (send him a PM). He has resurrected "some" damaged tweets.

-Kent

New member here refurbishing NLA U4's...

I have purchased a pair of used tweeters to replace mine but I'm curious to know if my damaged fried eggs can be saved.

Both are pushed in a bit, and the one has a small puncture from the grille (#2)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Joe

#1attachicon.gifIMG_20150201_084645_821~2.jpg

#2attachicon.gifIMG_20150201_084851_288~2.jpg

"Carlspeak" is supplying the crossover components and grille cloth, and the foam surrounds are coming from Simply Speakers.

Hi Joe,

I just responded to your PM. Your tweeter should be fine after pulling back the grill, and placing a small patch on the hole as described in my response.

Roy

I had one wth the dome pushed in like that and I used a needle to pick it back out and then used 3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive to cover the little holes left. It is still good. If it's pushed in, it will affect high frequency dispersion. Whether it's audible or not is another question but there you have it.

The 3M adhesive is a clear, acetate-like adhesive kind of like airplane glue but different. :D

Doug

Thanks for the replies.

I installed the pair of tweeters that I purchased online and I'll gradually work on the others.

Removing the protective grille already seems to be a bit of a challenge but I was able to remove the protective grille with some denatured alcohol and a sturdy razor knife. it took a while...

It looks like the dome is attached with the same adhesive; I could clearly see a little ridge of glue around the dome and it had also been softened by the denatured alcohol.

Ironic the "protective" grille pierced the cone :(

What is the diameter of the grille? I recently found some nice 3" diameter speaker grilles from a Chinese seller on ebay (item 321031197412). Don't know if those may be too big.

-Kent

Ironic the "protective" grille pierced the cone :(

What is the diameter of the grille? I recently found some nice 3" diameter speaker grilles from a Chinese seller on ebay (item 321031197412). Don't know if those may be too big.

-Kent

The "protective grille" is 3" in diameter. I would consider making a replacement grille from a heaver gauge of expanded metal.

The unfortunate thing about the New Advent tweeter is that they cut those parts out of it to clear the leads, thus weakening it.

That being said, I have seen pictures of the original Advent tweeters with intact grilles pushed into the dome. Some people should just not have certain things in their life.

Also, I forgot to mention that the tweeter I talked about in my other post was one of the first ones without any protective grille at all so it was perhaps easier to work on.

Doug

Archived