Sealant for reseating refoamed OLA woofers?

pdbrown170b

Hi. I am in the process of rebuilding my 1973 OLA speakers and have just refoamed the woofers. When I removed them from the cabinet, the speaker rim was sealed against the wood with a pliable mastic which felt like plumbers putty. After 40 years, it's still a bit soft. Can anyone please suggest the appropriate sealant ? Thanks

Pete Brown

Anchorage, AK

Going home after a long day
The fleet at Summit. Mt. McKinley is about 45nm away at 20,320 msl.

Welcome Pete

This works very well. I've used it on many woofers: I have not used Mortite myself but AFAIK that would also be a good choice.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/gardner-bender-duct-seal-compound-plugs-10-pack--ds-110.html#.UORTemcxMeg

Kent

Be sure to look at Pete B's Advent page: http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

Don't know how well-stocked your local electronics store is. Best capacitors to use are film caps. If you use electrolytics they MUST be the non-polar type.

Kent

Hi AK Pete, and welcome to CSP.

Both of the recommended products will work just fine. All you have to do is warm up (soften) the material and roll some 'snakes' like you did in 1st grade with modeling clay. Then, just be sure you get a fully continuous seal, esp. around the screw holes.

Too bad you do not have any decent scenery on your 'commute'.

Good point on the continuous seal, ra.ra. That is absolutely crucial. The cabinet must be completely air tight after assembly. The only air leakage is the small amount around the woofer voice coil and through the dust cap (which is cloth) which is controlled.

The one advantage with Mortite is it's sold in wound ribbon form divided into round sections so all you have to do is peel off one round section and stick it down on the woofer flange. No rolling "snakes" necessary.

Doug

Doug.. Thanks for the note on the Moretite and the seal. I sealed the up just before leaving on a trip and they sound great again. Now, I think I will be looking for new caps so I may need to get back inside again if I find the right replacements as they were not available locally.

Archived