OLA foam surround source

mr.jones

I have some masonite ring OLA woofers that need new foam surrounds.I have done a few refoam jobs on other speakers using low cost generic foam from MAT Electronics. .I know that the OLA woofers are glued from behind so can I use a generic 10" foam surround on these? I can get the job done for less than $3.00 using generic surrounds as opposed to $20-25 for one of the eBay kits. I suspect that the eBay sellers are sourcing their foam from the same supplier as MAT and are charging a premium for instructions, glue, packaging etc.

Can anyone recommend a good source for masonite ring OLA woofers foam surrounds?

Thanks!

This is the way to go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261170146644

If you don't want the complete kit, email him (John) and say you want just the surrounds & dust caps. You'll get a better price than the kit price but not, I'm certain, $3.

I assume you have the 10" metal frame and not the one with the Masonite spacer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-LARGE-Advent-OLA-10-Classic-Speaker-reFoam-Two-woofer-Kit-/330873956764?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item4d099fe99c

NEITHER OLA woofer will do well with generic surrounds. Why take a chance with nice speakers? Get the surrounds specifically made for your woofers.

Kent

Actually, he did say he has masonites so he wants the ones in your second link, Kent. I bet either would work, though. Some places sell the same surrounds for masonites and all-metal woofers and I have used the all-metal surrounds on masonites and they work fine. The only real difference is that the outer flange is normally bigger on the masonite surrounds since there is a very large area to glue them to on the masonite but only a small 1/8" ledge on the all-metal.

The real factors that matter, of course, are the flexibility and roll size in which most generics are usually woefully deficient.

Doug

he did say he has masonites so he wants the ones in your second link

You know, I started to write an answer saying that I'd re-foamed the Masonite versions and they were a bit tricky, then thought "no--no one would ever use a generic surround on the Masonite version." Guess I should have re-read the O.P.

So yes, it's the 2nd link provided and no, the 2 versions are not the same.

M-Sound has listened to CSP members and other vintage speaker experts and has made great efforts to supply the correct surrounds for our speakers--not one-size-fits-all generics. Look at some of the previous discussions of 1/2" vs. 5/8" rolls, slant vs. straight edges and Boston style "filled fillet" foams.

M-Sound supplies very complete quality kits for novices and will also supply just the surrounds or just surrounds plus dust caps for CSP members. Just drop him a line.

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

I got my OLA surrounds from Rick Cobb. He has detailed instructions for the Masonite woofer. It was my first refoam job and while not a piece of cake, I didn't make any serious errors that couldn't be corrected. He provides a 30Hz CD for alignment - no need to cut the dust cap and use shims.

The new foams seemed to fit the speaker perfectly and his instructions were perfectly clear. I don't know if he would sell just the foams, but he might.

I also refoamed my wife's Boston Acoustic speakers. These required trimming the foam a bit but Rick had detailed instructions for doing so.

My latest refoam was a pair of Advent/1s. They have the same drivers as the NLAs. These WERE a piece of cake.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite source for surrounds, MSound, is changing from ebay to an internet store and he also switched ISPs so he's a little hard to reach. BUT he will respond to emails and sell kits or even just the surrounds. You can reach him at msound@shentel.net

Kent

Archived