ADC 303AX

Hi there;

I remember, way back when, there was a favourable view of the ADC-303AX speaker system, The Brentwood, if I remember it's name correctly.

There is a pair on ebay now, sadly 1 scrunched tweeter though.

As a side note.

The ADC-404 speaker system, from the same manufacturer, was compared sonicly to the AR-4X speaker system and was used as the rear speakers in a 4 channel setup.

The ADC-404 is about half the size of the AR-4X, but very heavy.

• 3 months later...

>I remember, way back when, there was a favourable view of the

>ADC-303AX speaker system, The Brentwood, if I remember it's

>name correctly.

>

>There is a pair on ebay now, sadly 1 scrunched tweeter

>though.

>

>As a side note.

>

>The ADC-404 speaker system, from the same manufacturer, was

>compared sonicly to the AR-4X speaker system and was used as

>the rear speakers in a 4 channel setup.

>

>The ADC-404 is about half the size of the AR-4X, but very

>heavy.

>

>

Hello,

I gather I'm reading your reply to a much earlier post which I'm not seeing.

The Brentwood model was, I believe, also known as the 303A (no X). I've never seen a pair in person, but I once owned a pair of the successor, which was known as the 303AX (similar in size to a KLH model 6). They were a nice speaker, but the earlier model, the Brentwood aka 303A, was said to use higher quality drivers.

The 303AX used a nice 10" woofer, and a cone tweeter which I would describe as rather ordinary. The earlier Brentwood used a dome tweeter, possibly KEF, and I'm under the impression that the woofer was 8" rather than 10.

The 404's that you mention were a 6" (or 6 and 1/2") two way, and were on the market at the same time as the 303A Brentwoods. They were superceded by the 404A's, which ran concurrently with the 303AX's.

Confused yet?

My family still has a pair of 404A's. I wish I had my 303AX's back. I stupidly handed them off to a friend years ago.

Archived