AR International operations

iso

I have not found too much information about European AR operations. Most original models were on April 1976 AR UK price list, It seems that only AR LST-2 and AR5 were not available anymore and 3a was in Improved specification. 5 new ADD models were included and AR7x was listed as ADD model. AR7x used most likely ferrofluid cooled tweeter of 18 but used real wood veneered AR7 cabinet. I remember that my own AR7`s were upgraded to 7x satus in late 70´s.

On 1 Aug 1976 ADD US price list there were only new ADD models and MST available. MST appearance suggests that it was intended to be part of the original model line. This all interests me as I happen to live in Finland. In early 80´s I sold ADD line of speakers, but I do not remember if these were made in UK, Holland or US... and most importantly I should receive 3aImproved pair within few hours.

Anyway, when and how AR landed to Europe and why there were two plants here so close to ea other? I have also wondered if the gray/brown colored sputter finish for cab backs was used only in UK or was Dutch plant using same finish for cab backs... or were they using brown paint for cab backs only in Holland?

Best Regards

Kimmo

The 2 pairs of AR I bought 1975 and 1977, were UK made, and both had a white speckle (or sputter as you put it) finish on the back of the cabinets.

Edit - I've just looked at the speakers. There is an even amount of white and brown speckles in the finish. I always looked upon them as white speckle but I suppose it just depends on who is viewing them.

There is an even amount of white and brown speckles in the finish. I always looked upon them as white speckle but I suppose it just depends on who is viewing them.

I agree... and after 40 years of sunlight the difference between white and gray is not too much.

My European made 5 and 2ax models do have quite different back sides too. It is possible that 5 backside has worn to this condition for some reason, even it is hard to believe considering quite good condition of veneer. Anyway it is quite obvious that back side of my AR5 has not been brown one used on some European models.

Please note that 2ax crossover boards have been installed upsides down. Yes, both speakers are sitting woofers down in these pictures.

Best Regards

Kimmo

post-126436-0-45988100-1407237053_thumb.

post-126436-0-81149700-1407237100_thumb.

I have not found too much information about European AR operations. Most original models were on April 1976 AR UK price list, It seems that only AR LST-2 and AR5 were not available anymore and 3a was in Improved specification. 5 new ADD models were included and AR7x was listed as ADD model. AR7x used most likely ferrofluid cooled tweeter of 18 but used real wood veneered AR7 cabinet. I remember that my own AR7`s were upgraded to 7x satus in late 70´s.

On 1 Aug 1976 ADD US price list there were only new ADD models and MST available. MST appearance suggests that it was intended to be part of the original model line. This all interests me as I happen to live in Finland. In early 80´s I sold ADD line of speakers, but I do not remember if these were made in UK, Holland or US... and most importantly I should receive 3aImproved pair within few hours.

Anyway, when and how AR landed to Europe and why there were two plants here so close to ea other? I have also wondered if the gray/brown colored sputter finish for cab backs was used only in UK or was Dutch plant using same finish for cab backs... or were they using brown paint for cab backs only in Holland?

Best Regards

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

The 7x did use the ferrofluid tweeter but I thought they were all in vinyl wrap cabinets. They didn't seem to be around long and became the 18.

Mike

• 2 months later...

I found 1998 reprint of original John Grabbe AR-LST review in HiFi News. There is some information about birth of AR International operations and AR-LST. It appears that Frank Jones was supposed to write this review in Hifi News. As AR engaged him to run part of AR International operations, John Grabbe actually made AR-LST review. It was decided that it would not be fair to "manufacturer" to review their own product.

Before this there was long discussion between Roy Allison and especially Frank Jones on pages of HFN/RR about design principles of AR3a. It appears that AR actually produced experimental AR-3F pair. The "F" stood for flat and AR-3F did have 6-way spectral balance control on front panel. There was no information how control was made, but most likely similar autotransformer like in AR-LST was used. Despite all their doubts, AR seemed to be toying with the idea of nominally flat response as they did deliver experimental AR-3F pair to Croydon where Jon Crabbe and Frank Jones of HFN/RR could audition it. Crabbe mentions that he and Jones found AR-3F to be very fine speaker. However this model never materialized, as tweeter power handling caused reliability problems with flat response.

Crabbe liked LST very much, but addressed imagining problems of wide dispersion speaker. I do not actually know was late John Grabbe born blind or was he blinded later. Anyway he states that he lost his bearings on several occasions during A-B comparisons, as he had to look which way the A-B switch is pointing. Blind person must be very sensitive to any clues in sound and fine detail especially in stereo.

Original AR-LST review appeared in August 1973 issue of HFN/RR and I have copy of it. If our staff can handle copyright issues and would like to add this very comprehensive review in library section, I can e-mail scans of this article.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Archived