AR2ax rebuild in Finland

iso

Some time ago I removed also the other 3 ohm resistor and 560nF cap from middrange driver... and used it straight. Mid to woofer integration was not good as earlier and it came more apparent that sustained piano notes sometimes distorted quite badly. This upper middrange hardness has bothered me more or less all time.

As it seems that middranges are reason for this hardness... are there any known issues that can be sorted with CTS middranges... or should I try to find better replacemets? Are 9 or 6 ohm models usually surviving better as asking if these are OK... I will receive reply like pulled from working speaker, DCR tests OK but no guarantee...

Best Regards

Kimmo

Kimmo,

The changes you are making (and contemplating) will just take you further away from the intended sound of the AR-2ax. "Hardness" has never been a term I have heard associated with the AR-2ax midrange.

I suggest finding better original parts to work with to get a more accurate representation of the 2ax. Alternatively, you can experiment with capacitor values, drivers, etc, and move your discussion to the "Mods. Tweaks..." section of the forum.

Roy

Roy

I agree... I do not want to move to "mods & tweaks" section as original 2ax performance is my goal. I tried this 560nF parallel cap mod as original AR 4uF parallel cap mod was too radical.

I must try to find better midranges as they seems to have some resonance in 3-6 K region.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Archived