Dent in hard dome

iso

I have one front wired AR2ax tweeter with slight dent in dome. Construction looks similar to A19 on 3a restoration manual and there is early 1974 date code on back of tweeter. How brittle hard paper dome is? Is there any way to pull dent back in correct shape or is risk, to damage tweeter that works, too high?

Best Regards

Kimmo

• 2 weeks later...

You could try softenning the paper dome with water applied carefully upon the dent, once softened try carefully to reshape the dome lifting the dent with a thin sewing needle. Once the paper dries the dome hardens up again; I have had success with that procedure.

BRgds Klaus

Do you know if the VC former is made of plastic or paper... so, is there any risk that it will deform due to the moisture?

Best Regards

Kimmo

KImmo,

Klaus's method works. The vc former is paper, but you will not use enough water for this to be an issue. There may be some resulting creases in the dome, but at least it will be a "dome" again. You can cover the pin hole with a very tiny drop of white glue (Elmer's, etc).

Roy

You can also suck the dome out. I used a vacuum successfully once and disastrously another time but you can use the correct diameter tube and suck it out by mouth (no wise cracks please).

Kent

Dear Klaus, Roy and Kent

Thank you for your response. Kissing T27 tweeters is great fun at Kef enthusiast´s site http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1342&highlight=kissing. I have sucked one 1,5" T52 tweeter dome back to correct shape with vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately this was not enough for B110 mid range dome.

When I placed my original question I was not sure what this "hard dome" term actually means. I have been told that some early JBL hard domes do have phenolic resin, between inner and outer surface, that will crack when dome is dented. In this case repairing dent would be very difficult. But now as it is clear that AR hard dome can be softened with water, I will try to pull dome back in shape.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Archived