Weekend Find AR 3's

DavidDru

Was fortunate enough to find a gentleman with an old building and a basement full of old gear. The type of thing I have read about so many times on the various audio sites with envy.

I came away with a pair of AR 3's! $100

Does not appear anything has been done to them, but you guys know better than me with the help of the photos. The pots are in horrible condition but after a while I was able to find a tiny spot on each that let me hear each of the speakers and all work! I am listening to one now as I type and no, they don't sound great....yet. I think they are Mahogany? An end on each will need some serious refinishing attention, but the other 3 sides are fine and as expected I guess.

So here I go. Jumping into a restoration. Wont happen quickly as I also have a maggie MGIIa panel I am working on. In the meantime I will listen to my 2ax's.

post-173623-0-70757100-1409098051_thumb.

post-173623-0-44980700-1409099211_thumb.

post-173623-0-44265700-1409099217_thumb.

post-173623-0-66572200-1409099224_thumb.

post-173623-0-40953500-1409099240_thumb.

post-173623-0-52254000-1409099248_thumb.

post-173623-0-03524100-1409099255_thumb.

post-173623-0-78013700-1409099264_thumb.

post-173623-0-15349500-1409099275_thumb.

post-173623-0-94987500-1409099282_thumb.

Was fortunate enough to find a gentleman with an old building and a basement full of old gear. The type of thing I have read about so many times on the various audio sites with envy.

I came away with a pair of AR 3's! $100

Does not appear anything has be

en done to them....

Those are Loverly's... the best kind to find.... Enjoy!

Roger

From this perspective, those look like real beauties! Cabinets, drivers, grille cloth - - - it's all there. Congrats on your new speakers. Take it slowly, ask lots of questions, and post lots of pics.

Plus, it's really great to see this enthusiasm coming from the Rocky Mountain states - - first Nevada and now Idaho.

From this perspective, those look like real beauties! Cabinets, drivers, grille cloth - - - it's all there. Congrats on your new speakers. Take it slowly, ask lots of questions, and post lots of pics.

What he said.

And welcome to the CSP! Looking forward to your restoration.

FWIW, they look like walnut from here.

Kent

I thought they were walnut as well but i took one over to a specialty hardwood supplier here in town and asked them what they thought. They weren't 100% sure but they felt the little holes or bubbles in the grain in some areas suggested Mahogany over Walnut. They did say that back then it is possible a better mahogany than what you would get today could have been used. Did AR sell more of the less expensive mahogany or the more costly Walnut? Ever see any cherry?

I am currently putting a real tung oil finish on some wall rails I had to reproduce for an old Poul Cadovius mid cent modern wall cabinet system and I used Mahogany (didn't want to afford the teak) so I will soon see how dark it gets with applications of the tung oil.

Would be nice to know some of the specifics AR used originally on these.

Maybe I can save/reuse the grill cloth huh? The frames were already snapped at one end of each like someone else had tried to peer in or something. Thus the cloth looks like it was shrinking away from a couple edges but maybe not. I am guessing once I take the cloth off I will have numerous ways to reinforce/fix those and then re-glue the cloth back on. ?

Thus the cloth looks like it was shrinking away from a couple edges but maybe not. I am guessing once I take the cloth off I will have numerous ways to reinforce/fix those and then re-glue the cloth back on. ?

Nice find... as I am living in Finland, it is very unlikely find anything this good at flea market prices.

As grill cloth is off anyway, it is tempting to wash all grime off... but, please note that cloth will shrink. I have washed late original model linen cloth from AR2ax and AR3aImproved cabs. Clean washed 3aImproved cloth is enough for AR2ax or AR 5 grilles and AR2ax cloth will be enough for smaller models.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Nice find... as I am living in Finland, it is very unlikely find anything this good at flea market prices.

As grill cloth is off anyway, it is tempting to wash all grime off... but, please note that cloth will shrink. I have washed late original model linen cloth from AR2ax and AR3aImproved cabs. Clean washed 3aImproved cloth is enough for AR2ax or AR 5 grilles and AR2ax cloth will be enough for smaller models.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Thanks Kimmo,

In my early research here of others efforts on the site it appears the 3's were given a "Saran" (plastic) weave material for their grilles. The good is they won't shrink. The bad is they yellow.

Looks like JKent and others tracked down a very good replacement with Mellotone I can use if I dont go back to the originals. They look like they will be reusable except I dont want to if they are too yellowed. Need to compare.

David,
Do your AR-3s have the saran (plastic) grille material? If so, go ahead and clean them with Fantastik, 409 or similar. They won't shrink (Kimmo is right about linen).
Those old plastic frames have become brittle and break easily. You may be able to glue them back together with the correct solvent-type plastic cement, even with the saran still attached.
If you are good with carpentry you could make new grille frames from 1/8" Masonite or you can buy them from Vintage AR. Then cover them with either the Mellotone material we have discussed or the excellent linen from 1-2-3 Stitch as described in the AR-3a restoration manual.
-Kent

oops. I was typing at the same time you were. From the photos your original saran material looks OK to me. I'd suggest you first try to save it.

maybe a splint to help the bond.

That's what I did on my original pair.

Wonder how much they have yellowed?

I'll see if I have a swatch to send you.

-Kent

Archived