Internet Auctions and a river in Egypt

Anthropologo

While surfing the internet auction site the other day I came upon a couple of AR-1s for sale. Since I keep a spreadsheet of AR-1 s/n’s with some other associated data, I saved these to my watch list for later. Upon actually looking at them in detail I noticed one had s/n with dated Altec (bonus) while the other one had the Altec 755A replaced with what looks to be a run of the mill tweeter. Thinking that the vendor might not want to represent for sale something that was not, I dropped him a line. Silly me as you can see from the below exchange:

Me:

Just a quick fyi - the speaker does not have the Altec 755 driver but rather a replacement tweeter - it is not an original AR-1

Vendor:

I am selling these for the original owner who never altered them. He purchased them with that configuration. they are original AR-1.

Me:

Acoustic Research AR-1 was sold in a single configuration from 1954 to 1962 - an Altec 755A driver and a 12 inch woofer - this one, unfortunately, does not have the Altec 755A - look at the other one you have for sale - s/n 7845 - that one has the correct configuration including the Altec 755A - somewhere in its life this speaker had the Altec 755A replaced with a non original tweeter.

Should you require further proof all the information you might need, including specs, chronological history, and photos can be found at http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/

Vendor:

Did it ever cross your mind that this may be a very rare speaker because everything is sealed including the grill cover it all appears to be factory, and the original owner is insisting that he bought this at a Hi-Fi shop in NYC and hasn't changed anything.....

At this point in time I just quit communicating as it was obvious this vendor had no desire for reality but was rather going to run in deliberate avoidance while pursuing maximum profit since the grill cloth is obviously not original, the cabinet is not sealed, and miracle of miracles - while he states in his ad these are from an estate liquidation sale, he now has access to the original owner….sigh….

I guess, however, there is the off chance this is an AR-1x (I have never seen photos of one, even after googling around for quite some while) in which case the vendor is correct and I would write him a response taking a seat at the table for a helping of crow. However, given the s/n 16922 and the fact that the label says this is an AR-1, I don’t think that to be the case.

Seems another unfortunate case of Caveat Emptor when what we pursue as a hobby centered around historical artifacts that have the bonus of sounding really good are viewed as mere commodities by those who take a more mercenary view.

Without question, that appears to me to be the tweeter used in the AR-4x - - - looks like a piece of plywood was fitted to the original baffle opening for the Altec, but we cannot really see this in the seller's pics because the grille frame obscures the carpentry modification. If you look closely at the s/n paperwork, there is a handwritten note that says 10-10-69 - - - maybe this is when the AR-4x tweeter was installed?

post-112624-0-78938300-1395767647_thumb.

The AR-1x was primarily the service replacement for the AR-1, once the Altec 755 was no longer available. I believe the internal AR paperwork for the mod from 1 to 1x is somewhere in the library. I have seen it before and it says "1 to 1x." Maybe I have it in my files at home. I'll look for it.

Yes, that is a 4x tweeter and 10-10-69 is certainly the correct timeframe for the 4x tweeter. My Dad bought his 4x's in July 1969, and the 4xa didn't come out until around 1973, so this is a 1x, in my view.

The 1x did appear in AR's lit in the full-range catalog that accompanied my father's 4x's. I've never heard the 1x, but I imagine it's a somewhat bass-heavy speaker, with mids and highs that are smooth, but a bit too reticent. I wonder how many 1x's were actually produced as "new" at the factory, or whether the 1x designation was simply a way to legitimize the modified 1's, in order to make their owners feel as if AR had upgraded them to a "current" model. I bet very, very few factory-produced 1x's were made and sold.

Steve F.

The AR-1x was primarily the service replacement for the AR-1, once the Altec 755 was no longer available. I believe the internal AR paperwork for the mod from 1 to 1x is somewhere in the library. I have seen it before and it says "1 to 1x." Maybe I have it in my files at home. I'll look for it.

Yes, that is a 4x tweeter and 10-10-69 is certainly the correct timeframe for the 4x tweeter. My Dad bought his 4x's in July 1969, and the 4xa didn't come out until around 1973, so this is a 1x, in my view.

The 1x did appear in AR's lit in the full-range catalog that accompanied my father's 4x's. I've never heard the 1x, but I imagine it's a somewhat bass-heavy speaker, with mids and highs that are smooth, but a bit too reticent. I wonder how many 1x's were actually produced as "new" at the factory, or whether the 1x designation was simply a way to legitimize the modified 1's, in order to make their owners feel as if AR had upgraded them to a "current" model. I bet very, very few factory-produced 1x's were made and sold.

Steve F.

but isn't the 4x an 8 ohm speaker while the AR-1 is a 4 ohm speaker, therefore, it would seem to me that the best factory replacement tweeter would have been either one from a 3 or 3a

A factory-authorized repair center in NYC once upgraded my AR-2a to a 2ax without any sort of explanation, so maybe the original owner had no idea that he'd lost an Altec, and gained a 4x tweeter.

I'm guessing that anyone who'd pay that much for either speaker more than likely knows what they're doing. ;)

Here's the 1969 catalog page that describes the AR-1x.

post-100370-0-34293800-1395780524_thumb.

I think I've seen this catalog (1969?) that mentions the AR-1x, but I never paid it much attention since it is such an oddity. And, when I posted my first response earlier today, I was pretty much in agreement that the OP had identified a respectable impostor, but now, after reading posts 3 and 5, and finding this thread from years ago, I'm now beginning to think that there may be a future meal that involves some yummy crow cordon bleu.

Just like the 4x, this tweeter is served by a single 20uF capacitor. In the pic of the rear terminals and control knob, can't tell if the knob shaft has been sheared off or if it is just nearly invisible due to the photo angle. In any case, the lock washer and hex nut are missing.

What I can't quite comprehend is: when AR had so many excellent models in production by the late 60's, why was the AR-1x ever created in the first place? I do see Steve's mention of "service replacement", so does this mean that if you blew out your Altec driver in the late 60's, you returned the entire AR-1 speaker, cabinet and all, and the company sent you a single AR-1x speaker in kind? The thread attached even makes mention of an AR-1x that may have had a foam woofer, which again seems timely since the 3a was becoming the flagship model and itself was possibly transitioning the 3a woof from cloth to foam at nearly the same time.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=1909

post-112624-0-86115000-1395796644_thumb. post-112624-0-98635300-1395796975_thumb.

Interesting topic. There in fact a new listing for a single 1957 Ar 1 on the auction site today. Some good pics and might be an addition to your spreadsheet Anthropologo. There is a good shot of the serial number as well. I am more and more intrigued by the variations in these early AR models over the years. As a matter of fact I picked up a set of AR 2ax speakers this past weekend which have a low serial number and most 2ax set pictures I have seen have two openings in the grill frame while mine has three.

Just guessing, stupidhead, but you've possibly got a pair that straddled the murky transition between the 2a and the 2ax. I believe all of the 2a grille frames had the 3 openings, which included the vertically (or was it horizontal?) elongated opening for the double mids.

Here's a couple of pictures of an AR-1x from an eBay auction in Jan. 2004. It is the only one that I've seen come up for auction. What's interesting here is that the tweeter is mounted on a 3/3a frontboard, and the AR-1 designation is on the left side of the label like an AR-3.

Jeff S.

post-100680-0-51879000-1395969002_thumb.

post-100680-0-69493700-1395969021_thumb.

amazing the things one can learn by tracking serial numbers within a single model range

1. there are at least 3 varieties of AR-1
  • Traditional AR-1; Altec 755A with 12 inch woofer - s/n 1 through at least 18253 (latest number I have noted)
  • Traditional AR-1 with factory repair/replacement of Altec 755 - I have seen two examples: 16922 that is discussed here and 9571 (which has its own interesting history) - both appear to be the result of replacing the Altec 755A driver with an AR-4x tweeter (any interior modifications are unknown) and both have the circular black painted and well-fitted piece of plywood surrounding the tweeter allowing proper fitting of the replacement tweeter
  • Factory AR-1x which is based on an AR-3 chassis and involves mid-range factory delete and use of either an AR-4 or AR-4x tweeter, internal xover provided above shows a 20uF cap before the potentiometer on the tweeter side, I have only two documented - earliest is s/n 20086 and latest is s/n 20104

Several other items of interest as well (based on my limited spreadsheet, sample number = 81, adding more will yield better/more precise data):

• All three cloth colors (Maroon with Gold Thread, Gold Thread, and Black with Swirl) were available within in the first year - there appears to be neither rhyme nor reason, but black swirl disappears after s/n 300, gold first appears at s/n 329, Maroon Cloth with Gold thread is noted on s/n 18
  • The switch from 7 post binding to Potentiometer occurred between s/n 6268 and s/n 6613 (Altec 755A dated April 1957) - probably sometime around March/April 1957 timeframe
  • Unfinished was not that rare, I show around 25% unfinished cabinets

thanks all, i learned quite a bit and grabbed some more interesting data.....please feel free to add data to this thread and i will update the spreadsheet accordingly

That is a very current post, and it shows a configuration with the AR-4 tweeter. Could we assume that the crossover then has a 6uF cap instead of the 10uF with the AR-4x tweeter?

ra.ra,

According to the AR-1x crossover schematic you posted above, it is the same 20uf capacitor used for the AR-4x. The 4x never had a 10uf cap on the tweeter. Smaller caps would result in insufficient midrange response.

Roy

Oops, my silly error, and thanks for the correction, Roy. Yes, I do know that the 4x normally takes a 20 uF cap (you helped me correctly identify the cap values in my early pair of 4x's with a different crossover) - - - I am currently planning work on some AR-6's and thus have 10uF cap value on the brain and simply mis-typed. Thanks again for clarifying.

My question had to do with the tweeter shown in the post you referenced - - - just wondering if the AR-1x with the AR-4 tweeter (damping, wire mesh cover) might use a different cap value than the AR-1x with the AR-4x tweeter. (AR-4 uses a 6uF cap, whereas you correctly note that AR-4x typically uses a 20 uF cap.)

Anthropologo, my spreadsheet data agrees very closely with yours. The latest traditional AR-1 I show is 18388 which has an oiled walnut cabinet.

And then there’s this: AR-1 #2814 with three posts and a pot and the only one I show like it until #6613.

Other interesting things learned from the labels is the move from 23 Mt. Auburn St. to 25 Thorndike St. in 1956. (the closest sn’s I show are AR-1W #1274 from the former, AR-1 #1600 from the latter), then the move across the street from 25 to 24 Thorndike. (AR-1 #3963 from the former, AR-1W #4140 in a birch cabinet which I own from the latter).

A unique grill can be found on AR-1 #13891and may have been special ordered from the buyer.

Also AR-1’s #12863 #12972 #13195 are all AR-1W’s. Apparently they ran out of 1W labels for a while. I hope they put them in the correct shipping carton!

post-100680-0-14731200-1396309341_thumb.

post-100680-0-47408700-1396309360_thumb.

post-100680-0-53527200-1396309369_thumb.

Hi there

I believe the AR1X schematic is one of the many thousands of documents I downloaded here over the years.

In my many postings due for the library additions, I also included the original handwritten note regarding the AR-1 tweeter discontinuation.

It was I believe, either a phone call from AR or a personal conversation with the A C Simmonds rep that the Altex tweeter was discontinued and

the replacement was the cone 2 1/2" tweeter.

My memory is bad but if you say Altec's as plural it sounds like Altex, that is why I am guessing the source rather that a printed sheet from AR.

If you said that over a phone call you might write down the incorrect spelling accidently.

The local warrantee depot did not have computers, fax or emails so personal conversation or phone call is my best guess at this time.

I could ask my friend who managed the warrantee depot but I do not like to bother him.

He may have had other sheets mailed from AR regarding this AR1-X conversion but I may have not photocopied it when I had the chance in the mid '90's.

Obviously AR would have shipped out conversion kits, which I never saw, to warantee depots with the attached round hardboard or plywood adapter.

The replacement would have been exceptionally well packaged, in a well designed cardboard box with instruction sheet (s) and lots of putty

At the local warrantee depot you would have needed a very large van to haul all the parts that AR shipped, at absolutely no charge, including lot's of new cartons.

From my perspective a company totally dedicated to the public, dealers and warrantee depots, without equal.

We need not mention discounting.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. The AR-1X speakers linked above are mine. For archival purposes, if anyone has any questions I would be happy to provide any information at my disposal.

For what it's worth, I have replaced the 20uf box caps with Daytons and like them just fine.

I compiled my efforts into a single thread over at AK:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=619273

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. The AR-1X speakers linked above are mine. For archival purposes, if anyone has any questions I would be happy to provide any information at my disposal.

For what it's worth, I have replaced the 20uf box caps with Daytons and like them just fine.

I compiled my efforts into a single thread over at AK:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=619273

Yes, welcome and thanks for bringing news of your treasure. They look like they fell into the right hands.

Give us your tired, your poor,

Your huddled AR's yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to us,

We lift our lamps beside the golden door!

Photos are nice so I grabbed one of yours. I didn't think you would mind:

post-173498-0-06086900-1429102419_thumb.

Those speakers were in need of help, but all the drivers worked perfectly. The thrift I rescued them from was scary. I was certain I was going to fall through the floor when I went upstairs. I stuck to the edges of the room to make my escape.

The AR-1x is an interesting beast.

As far as I know, it was a modification to use the AR-4x's 2 1/2" cone tweeter as a replacement for repair to old AR-1's once the Altec 8" driver was no longer available. The 1969 full-line catalog has the AR-3 and AR-1x listed on the same page as sort of "other" AR speakers that were available, apart from the regular 3a-5-2ax-2x-4x lineup. They say something along the lines of the "AR 12" woofer is combined with a wide-dispersion 2 1/2" cone tweeter to form a system with smooth uncolored reproduction" or some such (going from memory here).

Apparently a few 1x's were built as brand-new speakers in production, but they were also retrofits--including the baffle plate--for the 8"-equipped AR-1.

The "interesting" part is this: tyella's picture clearly shows a 3 1/2" tweeter with the fiberglass/metal mesh (which is the AR-4 tweeter and the 'new' 2ax midrange), not the 4x's 2 1/2" cone tweeter as in most 1x's. Tyella's pic also shows quite clearly that these speakers were AR 12" 3-way speakers, with the tweeter hole covered over.

These are highly unusual 1x's, which was a highly-unusual speaker to begin with.

As I've said many times in the past, "parts bin engineering" is a way that all companies in manufacturing use up excess parts as the need arises. Got too many 3-way cabs and an unexpected pallet or two of 3 1/2" drivers? Put 'em together and call 'em 1x's. Glue the grilles on, and no one will ever know. (At least, not until 50 years later.)

Steve F.

Archived