Internet Auctions and a river in Egypt

Anthropologo

As I've said many times in the past, "parts bin engineering" is a way that all companies in manufacturing use up excess parts as the need arises. Got too many 3-way cabs and an unexpected pallet or two of 3 1/2" drivers? Put 'em together and call 'em 1x's. Glue the grilles on, and no one will ever know. (At least, not until 50 years later.)

Steve F.

It is interesting you should say this. I have been thinking the AR58S was a tweeter and midrange inventory clearance project. It is such an oddball with the high end drivers and no frills packaging.

Adams

The AR-1x is an interesting beast.

As far as I know, it was a modification to use the AR-4x's 2 1/2" cone tweeter as a replacement for repair to old AR-1's once the Altec 8" driver was no longer available. The 1969 full-line catalog has the AR-3 and AR-1x listed on the same page as sort of "other" AR speakers that were available, apart from the regular 3a-5-2ax-2x-4x lineup. They say something along the lines of the "AR 12" woofer is combined with a wide-dispersion 2 1/2" cone tweeter to form a system with smooth uncolored reproduction" or some such (going from memory here).

Apparently a few 1x's were built as brand-new speakers in production, but they were also retrofits--including the baffle plate--for the 8"-equipped AR-1.

The "interesting" part is this: tyella's picture clearly shows a 3 1/2" tweeter with the fiberglass/metal mesh (which is the AR-4 tweeter and the 'new' 2ax midrange), not the 4x's 2 1/2" cone tweeter as in most 1x's. Tyella's pic also shows quite clearly that these speakers were AR 12" 3-way speakers, with the tweeter hole covered over.

These are highly unusual 1x's, which was a highly-unusual speaker to begin with.

As I've said many times in the past, "parts bin engineering" is a way that all companies in manufacturing use up excess parts as the need arises. Got too many 3-way cabs and an unexpected pallet or two of 3 1/2" drivers? Put 'em together and call 'em 1x's. Glue the grilles on, and no one will ever know. (At least, not until 50 years later.)

Steve F.

Well now I'm thinking I should pull them apart again to make sure I've got the right cap in there.

I couldn't see the original value without removing them entirely, so I used the 20uf shown on the schematic. It should be easy enough to remove the box cap and check, but I was hoping to leave them as "revertible to original" in case I sold them off one day to a fanatical collector.

hi tyella, I have enjoyed this thread and lurked with interest the thread on AK. Nice job and very interesting speakers. Did you ever get the tweeter/mid out for backside pics? Love the original grille cloth too, did you wash them before the pics you posted?

welcome

Hi Stupidhead, and thanks.

I didn't wash the original cloth. I knew it wouldn't fly with the esposa at casa tyella, so I didn't bother. It's in pretty good shape though.

I haven't gotten in to check the back of the tweeter. Since there's some interest, I will try taking a photo from inside the cabinet. I'm a little leary about pulling them, as that chipboard seems fragile.

Hi Stupidhead, and thanks.

I didn't wash the original cloth. I knew it wouldn't fly with the esposa at casa tyella, so I didn't bother. It's in pretty good shape though.

I haven't gotten in to check the back of the tweeter. Since there's some interest, I will try taking a photo from inside the cabinet. I'm a little leary about pulling them, as that chipboard seems fragile.

Or you can slip a small mirror in the case and get a photo that way.

Washing the cloth may be a problem. I have heard of people taking the whole frame to a dry cleaner before!

Roger

I'm getting an education :)

Curious if those early speakers had the saran material type grilles like my early 3'd did. If so, they are just easily washed and wont shrink. I sprayed mine with 409 and watched the brown muck fall off of it, then used a cheap paint brush while rinsing. Easy peasy. Still unsure about how much they yellowed compared to the color when they were original.

My Early version 2ax and now 4x have the nice linen cloth fabric. Along the lines of the "Early grille cloth" thread going on here too.

The cloth is a sort of woven plasticy stuff. I suppose that's what saran is (hence the immensely useful "Saran Wrap")

Regardless of its material, the pattern is a little too "Las Vegas" for the house. The original grills and cloth are sitting in the basement right now.

I'll check the Early Grill Cloth thread and perhaps post this there as well.

original-cloth-closeup2_zps291109fd.gif

Thanx David, yes I saw that. Anxious to hear about the pots referenced above.

fwiw I am assembling a "wardrobe" of grilles for a set of 2ax. Seasonal changes to go with Diane's décor as it changes. It goes along with the wardrobe of glass shades for our various student lamps. That gold weave material would be a wonderful addition.

Archived