Help ID woofer

xbartx

I found a set of AR 2ax speakers and they had mismatched woofers. One looks like what I have seen before and would expect . The other is one I haven't seen before. It has a light colored cone? The frame is stamped AR, maybe an aftermarket cone. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

post-105543-0-58759200-1428168085_thumb.

post-105543-0-93411100-1428168086_thumb.

I found a set of AR 2ax speakers and they had mismatched woofers. One looks like what I have seen before and would expect . The other is one I haven't seen before. It has a light colored cone? The frame is stamped AR, maybe an aftermarket cone. Any ideas?

The woofer basket and alnico magnet are common, but the cone and dust cap are unusual. Perhaps it was re-coned at some point.

Roy

I've never seen such a uniform and fresh-looking cloth surround or that particular combination either, but with the 6-bolt frame and opposing wire leads on the cone surface, it does look largely authentic. That stippled cone surface looks somewhat similar to the paper cone of the 2ax foam woofer (which normally had a flat dust cap). As Roy has suggested, it is most likely a re-cone, and perhaps the non-ribbed 2ax cone was used in the re-build. It really looks great - - I'd love to have a pair of 10 inchers like that one.

Not meant to hijack this thread, but while we're discussing curious 10" AR woofers, this pair has recently been advertised as AR-12 woofers. Square magnet, stamped basket, and part number all look accurate, but .... cloth surrounds?

post-112624-0-58003500-1428174981_thumb.

Could be that I've mis-identified the material, but this assumption is based on the shape (thin edge, creases), texture, and color as seen in this better pic. I can barely imagine foam surrounds looking this tired and still being fully intact.

post-112624-0-69703300-1428188425_thumb.

Archived