Using 4 Boston Acoustic speakers in a 2 channel set up?

Guest Beau in Austin

Guest Beau in Austin

Hey y'all,

GREAT site! I'm someone who bought A-40's and A-70's in the mid 80's, and just this past weekend (Dec. '08) picked up pair of A-100's off Audiogon, and to find this place, and other people who enjoy the BA sound is a gift. Thank you all; I've been reading the threads, and my questions dovetail into some existing topics.

In another thread, someone mentioned stacking their speakers. Is there a 'best' configuration to arrange a pair of A-100's and A-70's, if someone wanted to try this in a 2-channel set-up? Side by side? 70 on 100? Hang the 70 above? Don't bother? I gather that there are potential issues with the distance between the drivers, and baffles; but, on the other hand, I have an amp that should not have any problem driving the load that 4 speakers would represent.

I don't have the room, or the front-end, for a 5.1 arrangement.

And, though I thought a little about this potential set-up before buying the used, unheard, A-100's, their (the A-100's) sound in my space compels me to explore the stacking idea further. The 100's don't sound as clean or as forward as the A-70's; a bit muddier, and hollower.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if these A-100's were re-foamed with the proper porous material by the previous owner, or by the shop he chose, rather; or if this is the sound of aging cross-over components, or, without removing them, if these are indeed the original drivers (woofers), as advertised. The sound isn't fatiguing, and they do pressurize the room, and the house, more fully, and seem to integrate with the subwoofer more seamlessly than the A-70's on stands.

Enough from me, on this, for now. Again, thank you to this site's founders and participants.

Beau in Austin

Guest Beau in Austin

Meanwhile, a few hours later..

The guy who sold the A-100's suggested I get some spikes. Instead, to get the tweeters nearer ear lever at the listening position, I set the speakers on new cinder blocks. The seller also suggested that I put some padded weight on the top of each speaker, and I have, 10 pounds on each. Finally, and I forget the name of the material, he said putting some sound absorbing material on the back of the cabinets would help the overall sound, and I may look into this, or, maybe adding insulation to the cabinet.

• 2 weeks later...
so, no one is doing the Boston 'Wall of Sound' thing, eh?

I'm not doing the'Wall of Sound', although I have a pair of A60s and A100s. The A60s originally sounded muddy to me and the A100s clear. It turns out that who ever did the refoam on the A60s did not get the glue all the way around the cone and the surround. I reglued the A60s and presto!! great sound. Check your A100s to see if the cones and surrounds are correctly sealed. The surround is nonporous. IRRC acoustic suspension speakers need to have the back presure from a properly sealed cabinet to work correctly.

HTH.

Bugs

Archived