Allison Acoustics C 1747

Guest ChristianO

Guest ChristianO

I just acquired a pair of Allison Acoustic 40" high cased speakers. Label on back reads Allison Acoustics Serial # C-1747. They appear to be from the 70's and the sound is incredible. Problem is, according to my wife, they are large, ugly need a refinishing and two new grills....toss in the fact that we are moving and don't necessarily need them and I have a small problem. I have no desire to sell them, would prefer adding some vintage equipment to them. My first question is given the serial # would it be possible to determine the model? ...and if so, approximate value? Secondly, any recomendations as to a nice, higher end receiver to pair them with....something to start a collection with (just love the sound!!!)

Guest jpk_1
I just acquired a pair of Allison Acoustic 40" high cased speakers. Label on back reads Allison Acoustics Serial # C-1747. They appear to be from the 70's and the sound is incredible. Problem is, according to my wife, they are large, ugly need a refinishing and two new grills....toss in the fact that we are moving and don't necessarily need them and I have a small problem. I have no desire to sell them, would prefer adding some vintage equipment to them. My first question is given the serial # would it be possible to determine the model? ...and if so, approximate value? Secondly, any recomendations as to a nice, higher end receiver to pair them with....something to start a collection with (just love the sound!!!)

The C prefix was used for the Allison Three, are they triangle shaped? If so they work best if placed in a corner. Grills are hard to come by, they may use the same grill as the Allison One? occasionally popping up on EBay! There is a Allison Yahoo discussion site too. In the Yahoo archives are pictures of DIY grills. Lots of nice receivers out there, I would opt for lots of power, 100~200 watts minimum into four ohms.

Congratulations, they're a very fine speaker!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jpk_1

There's a newer production pair of threes (Cherry Cabs) on Ebay along with some grills for Classic Three's. Also, a pair of 70's 3's just sold on Ebay for $800.00, (they look near mint) yours are well worth restoring! Look in the completed listings and see if that's what you have?

JK

Archived