large advent recone with voice coil ?

sendigitall

I do not shim, especially with the Advents, they are very easy to do without shims.

If you shim, and change the dust cap you will not have an Advent woofer anymore.

hi Pete

here are the pics of the 2 woofers showing the dust cap which has been pressed in, first ,kindly let me know if this is the right dust cap for the NLA and secondly will it preserve the originality if i can remove the dust caps .straight them out and stick them back?...i think it can be done ...or may be iam overly optimistic ??

thanks

senthil

post-123511-0-76001500-1361115580_thumb.

post-123511-0-01758000-1361115592_thumb.

Vacuum cleaner should do it. They are robust drivers with thick voice coil

formers, I think they will be fine. They look correct, they should look like a

cloth material with some treatment giving them more of a rubber feel.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am looking for help with an advent (Masonite ring 1975) recone project.

I need to know the correct height positioning for the voice coil. I have dissembled the old speakers

and included a pix of the voice coil and spider. Although this is the factory assembly, I am concerned that

the vc is positioned too high. At rest, the coil rides at the top of the magnet gap. The gap measures 28mm deep.

The coil 16mm in height. Ideally I would think the coil should rest at the center of the gap height, or about 6mm

down from the top. Any help or information would be appreciated.

File Jul 04, 8 56 26 AM.jpeg

I have no knowledge of the factory settings for the VC position. For most normal recone jobe, the VC windings should be centered on the top pole plate. This is the setting for those who are assembling the cone, VC and spider from separate parts. Some recone kit sellers provide a pre-assembled cone and VC and spider. So all you have to do is shim and drop in. I'm more familiar with the former process.

• 1 year later...

Hello. I know this is an old thread, but I would like to share some insight into this matter, as someone in the future may stumble upon this, seeking information. 

Voice coil winding height should be 1/4" above magnet plate(An ever so slight deviation in height is acceptable, so long as the height is uniform). Shims should hold the coil in tight, to prevent crooked installation. If you find that the shims hold the coil in too loosely, add masking tape to shims for additional thickness.  As long as you keep the old cone/coil/spider, it should be easy to copy where the spider and cone are glued to the coil (assuming that the replacement is OE specification). I suggest using calipers to precisely mark around the coil to ensure spider is installed evenly. 

Rob

Archived