EPI 1000 towers

Guest bluelite

Hi there;

Cute little hifi guy.

The speaker photo is not too clear.

Is there a single woofer and single tweeter on each of 4 faces?

I have written previously about this speaker.

A local band kept blowing out all of the tweeters on AR-LST speakers and ended up with, The EPI 1000 Towers.

Couldn't blow out their tweeters.

An in store demo, only once, was very impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

>EPI 1000 towers (sans grills) with grandson for scale.

how much you figger you'll get for the little tyke?

• 5 weeks later...

The Simplyspeakers website has a link for EPI/Epicure and they have a photo of Win Burhoe (the guy who started and owned EPI)standing next to a pair of these. Find a rare Epicire power amp and then you'll have a great New England set-up. It was a mean looking amp, 200 plus watts but darn near impossible to keep working.

• 4 years later...

The Simplyspeakers website has a link for EPI/Epicure and they have a photo of Win Burhoe (the guy who started and owned EPI)standing next to a pair of these. Find a rare Epicire power amp and then you'll have a great New England set-up. It was a mean looking amp, 200 plus watts but darn near impossible to keep working.

Hi there

Since this topic was first started I went and visited Human Speakers web site.

There is a few photos of a mod being done to a pair of EPI 1000 Towers.

I always thought that the cubic foot equivalent of a single EPI 100 was designed into the tower.

Sort of like screwing, glueing or bolting four EPI 100's together with no additional woofer load.

The photos show that not to be so.

The entire cabinet volume is seen by each individual woofer.

There is openings cut into the horizontal cabinet braces.

They were physically very large, kinda intimidating, and sonically very impressive sounding at the only demo I ever had of them.

I am curious, if just one woofer went bad what happens to the other 3 with the one acting more like a drone speaker.

This also would be useful in a dual woofer Dynaco A-50 speaker system.

Was the tyke ever sold or traded?

• 3 months later...

Hi there

I always thought that the cubic foot equivalent of a single EPI 100 was designed into the tower.

Sort of like screwing, glueing or bolting four EPI 100's together with no additional woofer load.

The photos show that not to be so.

The entire cabinet volume is seen by each individual woofer.

There is openings cut into the horizontal cabinet braces.

I am curious, if just one woofer went bad what happens to the other 3 with the one acting more like a drone speaker.

This also would be useful in a dual woofer Dynaco A-50 speaker system.

Was the tyke ever sold or traded?

As with these speakers, what happens to any speaker system that loses one of the dual or multiple open back mids or woofers in action?

Such as, but not limited to, the earliest Bose 901's and Dynaco A-50's, both of which are sealed enclosures.

Does the non-active driver then become sort of a drone?

Archived